Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hedgehog Hair Erinaceidae Plant Domesticated hedgehog

Chubby has dark green poop and we did a full check up for her which includes x-ray, blood test, fecal analysis etc.

Her poop:

Brown Artifact Fashion accessory Metal Rock

Insect Parasite Fashion accessory Arthropod Chemical compound

First they said she has worms in her poop, so they give me multivitamins, antibiotics and dewormer. 5 days of dewormer and the poop is worm free.
The blood test shows that she has a tad low of red blood and white blood cell. The liver look enlarged and fatty in the x-ray.

So the vet ask me to change her food, I give her royal canin fit 32 before, and he ask me to change into blackwood cat food for indoor cat (chicken meal with brown rice recipe). Her weight is 720 g and he set a target of 650 g. To be honest, I think I already put her on a strict diet, and I don't have a heart to cut her food even more 🥺

So this is her x-ray:

Jaw Organism Art Symmetry Font

Human body Jaw Radiography Organism Mammal

So the vet said she can lose a little more weight based on this x-ray. I'll try to cut her food slowly, and he gave me a liver supplement medication to be taken 2 times a day, 0.3 ml each time.

If anyone would like to share, what do you supplement into your hedgehog food? Mine is the blackwood kibbles + 2 drops of flaxseed oil + liver supplement + water to wet the food because she doesn't drink water that much so this is one way to keep her hydrated. I give her wet food daily about a pea size every morning and inject her medication in the food. Have you heard about liver diseases in hedgehogs? Care to share?

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
604 Posts
In my opinion, 720 is considered an obese hedgehog. It may seem like you are hurting her by cutting her food, but she will be happier in the end! She will become more active, healthier, and probably live longer if you cut her food down and follow the doctor's orders. While she may be cute chubby, it is not good for her.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
604 Posts
Also make sure you SLOWLY transition to her new food to make sure that she doesn't get an upset tummy. I give my hedgie about 1 tablespoon of food a day

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion, 720 is considered an obese hedgehog. It may seem like you are hurting her by cutting her food, but she will be happier in the end! She will become more active, healthier, and probably live longer if you cut her food down and follow the doctor's orders. While she may be cute chubby, it is not good for her.
I cut her food down to 10 pieces of kibbles and 1 teaspoon of wet food for meds. And I did transition over a month time. She's active last night so I'm glad to see it.

·
Administrator
3,725 Posts
Fatty liver disease used to be extremely common in hedgehogs, and they do suffer from it quite quickly. We used to see it a lot because high fat diets were recommended, but we also see it if a hedgehog has been sick and stopped eating.

Instead of cutting food, some things to look at are the caloric content of the food you are feeding. Is there any room to reduce there while not cutting the amount she receives.

You can search around on here on how to help her lose weight, people have done many different things as there really is no one size fits all solution to what makes them lose weight.

I've had some where I had to change diets because one type of kibble caused that particular hedgehog to gain weight, while others were fine on it.

I've had some I had to split their meal times up across the day, they would sit and eat everything in sight, then sleep the night through and not exercise, but splitting it up so that they received breakfast and a supper, providing the exact same amount, resolved the problem.

I've had others where I had to encourage them to forage, hiding kibble throughout their cage to encourage movement. Others have hidden food in dig boxes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fatty liver disease used to be extremely common in hedgehogs, and they do suffer from it quite quickly. We used to see it a lot because high fat diets were recommended, but we also see it if a hedgehog has been sick and stopped eating.

Instead of cutting food, some things to look at are the caloric content of the food you are feeding. Is there any room to reduce there while not cutting the amount she receives.

You can search around on here on how to help her lose weight, people have done many different things as there really is no one size fits all solution to what makes them lose weight.

I've had some where I had to change diets because one type of kibble caused that particular hedgehog to gain weight, while others were fine on it.

I've had some I had to split their meal times up across the day, they would sit and eat everything in sight, then sleep the night through and not exercise, but splitting it up so that they received breakfast and a supper, providing the exact same amount, resolved the problem.

I've had others where I had to encourage them to forage, hiding kibble throughout their cage to encourage movement. Others have hidden food in dig boxes.
Separate meals is a great idea! I'll try that instead.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yeah, cutting food slowly may work buy also make sure they are getting enough so they arent hungry :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts