Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright...I am in need of sine serious help here....we have two hedgie girls that live together happily. But recently I noticed that one had puffy skin by the quill line of her rump. She has been quilling I know but not all of the sore spots are where quills are. The sores when I rub them nkw the skin comes right off like it was a scab... she is acting normally and eating. I cant see if she drinks alot. A spot showed up on the back of her leg but mostly its along the very back of her quills and ends just below the tail.

Im a first time hedgie owner. We got our girls 3ish weeks ago now. Please help! Only one of our girls has this problem and they cuddle up every night I am worried about syaph/ingrown quills and whatever other horror senario comes to mind....nit sure how well you can see in my pics. Its a nightmare trying to take a pic of a squirmy wormy like waffles!

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Looks like ingrown quills to me, poor dear! While I AM NOT A VET, and I do NOT count as seeking actual medical advice, this is how I typically handle it-- If you have a q-tip, try applying a little bit of pressure on the bumps, see if the pus will drain at all. After that, get some regular strength neosporen and apply it. If for any reason your not comfortable with doing that, take her in to the vet. There is a possibility that it is staph, but honestly, it just looks like some nasty ingrowns to me. Keep her clean and dry and re-apply the neosporen once a day, it should start improving within a day or so. :) Again, that's just my opinion and experience though-- you know your baby best!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was thinking because a spot showed up behind her knee too..... it makes me sad because i have been working hard and doing the best i can

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
How soon can you get her to the vet? Ask them to do a skin scraping to test for both bacterial and fungal infections.

In the meantime, keep the area clean and don't put any oils on it, as oil may trap whatever bacteria is already there and make it worse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be an allergic reaction? Because only one of my girls has it and they cuddle up every night

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
If it's an allergic reaction affecting her skin it likely wouldn't be isolated to one area like that. I would separate your girls immediately to avoid spreading the infection, until a week or two after the treatment (antibiotics, antifungals, etc) is complete to make sure the other one doesn't have it.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
Please do not feel bad about yourself; you are concerned about your hedgie and will take action to solve the problem early.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update I cleaned the area and put neosporin on last night...this morning everything looked raw and it looked like there were more spots all scabby instead of just sore bumps....ill try and get a pic later when im home again. ..still only one hedgie with the problem. I was told by my breeder it also could be that the quills of the other girl could be irritating mine since they try and stuff themselves in the smallest area and are all up on each other. ... what do you guys think? She is still acting normal eating and still rubs and acts curious. She has been quilling.

The only other thing that makes me worry is both our girls have been having some pretty liquidy poops. I think we switched their food too quickly since we onky r3cieved a small bag to take home. ..Could the runny poops be connected to the skin problem?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I agree with Nikki that it looks like a skin infection.

If your girls enjoy each other, I wouldn't separate. They've been together so the other is already exposed. Separating them isn't going to prevent the other from getting what she is already exposed to and they may be more stressed being apart.

Usually a staph infection will only affect one baby in a litter typically because the one has a more immature immune system. It happens with puppies, kittens and other baby animals as well.

When you take her to the vet, take both girls so the vet can get a weight on the other as well. If she does develop sores too, you should be able to just phone the vet and get meds for her as well. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: both hedgies are full of energy...everyone ate everyone drank and both are running around their cage like maniacs exploring and playing. I washed everything they had in white vinegar trying to take anything that could make them allergic away and well see how waffles looks in the am! Planning to call the vet on monday if there is not signifigant improvement

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The sores keep looking more and more open and seepy and raw....I feel so terrible. The soonest I could get them is wednesday...I hope everything is ok and I can get some answers...I worked so hard getting ready and researching and loving her and somehow she ended up sick. ... :'(

·
Registered
473 Posts
Are there any other vets in your area that might be able to get her in sooner? I'm so sorry it's not just an ingrown quill-- I was on my phone when I first saw this thread, it's definitely a lot worse than it looked on my tiny screen. :/ Stuff happens even to the best prepared, you're getting her looked after and that's what matters!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
But you do have an appointment, and she will be seen and treated. You really should not come down so hard on yourself; you are obviously quite worried and making sure that your hedgie will be treated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got in to the vet today. Found out pretty much what I already knew that my cat has ear mites and my waffles has a skin infection...but the good news is I got 3 weeks worth of antibiotic and the cat and the hedgehogs are both being treated for mites! The doctor prescribed ivermectin and pre dosed it for us. its so low I dont think i have to worry about them overdosing (which was a concern for me). They are due back to the vets in two weeks. Ill keep everyone posted!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Personally, just to be safe, I would have the vet switch to Revolution for at least Waffles when you go in next. Even if you're pretty sure they're not overdosing, it would be much better to be safe than sorry. What method is he using for the Ivermectin? Injected is the most dangerous, but oral & topical are dangerous as well. And it's usually the second treatment where hedgehogs start showing issues. I discussed the issue with Ivermectin & hedgehogs with the wildlife rehabber I work with (because she's used it for years with wildlife & not had issues) and she wondered if it might be a species sensitivity or if it stays in their system longer than with other mammals or something, causing the second treatment to be an overdose, even if each of the doses is the right amount.

Either way...I really strongly recommend that you play it safe & have the vet use Revolution on the next visit. I would hate to have this situation take a terrifying turn for the worst for you and Waffles. I'm so glad that you got her in and she'll hopefully be on the mend soon. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oral Ivermectin. a dose of .01ml every ten days for 5 cycles.....He had a vet book that was for hedgehogs and said that revolution only worked on some kinds of mites hedgehogs get and not one of the kinds and he redid his math over and over.....but I don't know what I should do

1 - 20 of 29 Posts