Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried to look around the forums for some posts about litter training but I couldn't find any (I'm sure they're out there!!)

So....I've had my hedgehog for a week now and at first I noticed that she would just play around in the litter box and make a mess and poop in the wheel instead. I decided to take the wheel out at night so she wouldn't do this. Now I'm just not sure how to get her to start going in the pan. Any suggestions? I tried putting some of her droppings in the pan but she still wouldn't use it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Pooping and peeing on the wheel is something that 99.999999999999% of all hedgie owners deal with. It's not something you can change, and by taking the wheel out, you may be doing more harm than good. (like causing boredom, obesity, rubbing noses raw against sides of cage from boredom)

My boy does use his litter box, and I will find poop in there, however, I still get a messy wheel. It's the life of owning a hedgie.

Also, some hedgies just refuse to use a litter box.

Also, welcome! ^_^ To make your searches easier, there's a search box located in the upper right corner. If you type in "litter training" you are bound to get a few hits, without having to actually go through all the pages one by one.

·
Administrator
8,486 Posts
Please put the wheel back in ASAP, taking it out when their used to it can be very very stressfull for a hedgie. Your best bet with litter training is to get a litter box that you can put the wheel in with an inch or two sticking out in front of the wheel, that way when your hedgie wheels the poop and pee will fall into the pan and not be all over the cage. As has been said before, having to clean a poopy wheel every day is something that every hedgie own has to deal with, but some do get a "bit" neater as they get older.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts