Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my niece and I are researching these little guys and we are wondering can they be litter boxed trained? I do not see litter areas in the cage example area we were just wondering do you just let them go on the liners and then wash them or what is the best way. We did a search but came up with a lot that did not anser our questions sorry if we did it wrong. Thank you for any help you can send our way.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It depends on the hedgie. Some will dutifully use a litter pan and others will never think about it. And almost all have accidents, especially as babies. Most will choose one area and go there, so you can try putting a litter pan in that area. Many seem to like private areas, like behind the wheel or under hiding places where no one can see.
A lot of people like to put litter pans under the wheel because hedgies tend to go potty when moving because they can't hold it and the litter pan catches anything that might fall out. I put a couple of paper towels down behind the wheel, because that's where my hedgie choose to go.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Like Zalea said, some will use the litter pan, and some won't. I got lucky with mine.

Right now, I use a shallow tin lid(that my mom took off of one of her many tin boxes) it's only about 1cm high. In there, I use a litter called Yesterday's News. The breeder had also given me a small bag of sample litter when I got my hedgie, so I knew he was already accustomed to that. And the rest of his cage is a liner.

You can try putting the litter pan where your hedgie has chosen as his/her favourite spot, and try to encourage it from there.

I have his litter pan beside his food and water, as well as right beside his wheel, where he gets on and off, and it seems to work, save for the odd bit on the other side of his food bowl.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts