Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every time I change the litter in the cage, Stella likes to roll in it and use her little legs to spray it EVERYWHERE! I wish I could figure that out, but I can't?
She can't possibly like the smell, its just basic recycles litter...
OH and I got it from the previous owner- is this safe to use?

Anyone have any similar issues with litter kicking?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Would have to know the brand name but you'll want to make sure that the litter you have doesn't have small pieces that can get stuck in private areas and that it isn't a clumping cat litter because that can cause problems as well. If you already knew this then disreguard I just wanted to make sure to let you know just in case. Sounds like your Hedgie might like burrowing, if this is the case you can always try a dig box with fleece strips for him to play in and maybe he'll leave your litter alone lol :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually made her a dig box last night... She's a burrower for sure :D

The litter she came with is Hartz Ph5... it claims no chemicals and no clumps.

It's a granule based litter about the size of small pebbles she seems to have no problems with it.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I couldn't find much about the Hartz Ph5 litter, but from what I could find, it seems to be a clay based litter?

Clay isn't the best thing to use. From being too dusty and bad on their respiratory systems, to sticking to their privates(males run the risk of this more than females, but the risk is still there as they are so close to the ground), and causing damaging irritation.

Most here use pelleted type litter, as they're not as dusty, and they won't end up sticking to the hedgies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts