Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heyy all, so I am almost out of my shavings, and, since it is continuing to be kind of a pain to clean out, I have been thinking of switching to liners. Until I can get some though, do you think it would be okay to just use an old towel as a liner?
I was thinking of trying it at his next cage cleaning just to see how he reacts to liners instead of shavings--he liked the shavings. Whenever he peed on his wheel he just kicked them up on to it and the shavings absorbed the pee right up! Clever guy hehe!

Anyway, let me know if you think towels would be appropriate or if I should go out and buy some liners. Wouldn't know where to start anyway haha.

Thanks guys! I'll have an update on my one year anniversary with him soon! XD :D

·
Registered
244 Posts
Switching to liners would be a much safer and healthier choice. If he likes to burrow, you can cut up little pieces of fleese and put it in his hide. :)
Don't use a towel! He can get his little nails and/or feet in the towels stringy, loopy things.
Especially because hedgies like to burrow and he will probably try to some how dig which increases the chance of getting injured with the towel.
Oh and at walmart they have some fleece which you can cut to fit the cage.
and Happy Early Hedgie Anniversary :D

·
Registered
147 Posts
some people use pillowcases or old sheets as a make-due liner. you can pretty much use any fabric as long as there are no loops, loose threads.. etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I did use a towel once while transitioning to the liners...and he did not like them. He loves the liners and they are very cheap at walmart. I use the scrap pieces for his hide-out box. If I lift the box up to wake him up I cannot even see him underneath them all haha. Good thing is, messes are easy to clean up on liners too. I wash mine once a week. At night I put i sheet of paper towels over the liners, as he likes to poop all around his wheel. I just lift the paper towels up each morning and throw them out...and my liners remain cleaner longer. I don't think the paper towels are harmful so I go with them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts