Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, well my little one just LOVES to burrow. I used to often see her sleeping UNDER her fleece liner, and on the Coroplast. She was doing this for over a week, every night. so i tried to un-fold it so it's only one layer, and put the fabric over the sides.... when she'd walk around, she's pull the fabric somewhat, so it makes like a ramp, and try to climb over the top of the cage!!!!!! BIG No-No!!!! SO I tried using like the puppy training pads and taping 5 of them on the bottom of the cage so I can just pick up the pads every 2-3 days and throw them out instead of having to continuously wash (drove my mom crazy), come to notice, she's find little gaps between the tape and the bottom pad, and burrow her way under those! It seems like she'd prefer to sleep on coroplast than something warmer and comfy -_- she has an igloo where she SOMETIMES sleeps (she likes to sleep behind it for some reason.. squeezing between igloo and wall lol), and i have a corner of the cage full of cut up fleece and two big pieces of fleece for her to bury. She really doesn't go into her igloo if has the fleece... I'm not sure why. But anyways.... any advice? Should I just let her sleep on the coroplast and keep the cut up fleece in the corner in case she wants to borrow??

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Do you have a hedgie bag? A lot of times they'll go liner diving because they feel more secure having something around them, which feels like a den/burrow. Fleece strips can help with this also, but are better if they're within some container, like a dig box - otherwise the strips will spread out too easily on the floor of the cage. How large is your igloo? For some, the larger ones don't appeal because there's too much extra space inside of them, so if it's the large one (which is about 10" across or something) you could try buying one of the next size smaller. They seem to like to be squished wherever they decide to sleep. Ultimately, some will just be liner divers no matter what you try, and it's not really a big deal - it's not bad for them or anything. As for the puppy pads, you'll find it's cheaper to stay with the liners instead. How many liners do you have? It's a good idea to have three or four liners (or more) so you can switch them out every few days as necessary, but not actually have to do laundry more than once every week at most.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my igloo size is medium. and i provided her with two, one with her little bed upside down (she prefers that than sleeping on it) and the other with the cut up fleece. i recently put in the igloo yesterday and she liked being in it for the day time and at night i caught her in the other igloo under her bed. but once i woke up this morning, BAM! i see a bump under the padding. i guess i'll just need to get more liners.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts