Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I got my hedgie Watson around a month ago. He's a year old, I adopted him from a friend. After reading around the forums here, I decided to use a bin, fleece and corduroy liners and water bowl. My problem is it's EXTREEEEMELY hot (google weather says it's 90 deg) right now in the Philippines (where I'm at). He's always been a liner diver but now, for the past three days I've been waking up to an empty water bowl and a soaked liner with him under it. I promptly change the liner to a clean and dry one and give him a fresh bowl of water, but I wonder if he's doing it on purpose because it's too hot and he wants a wet blanket to hide under? He won't go in his igloo during the day, and at night in between wheel time he splats out on his tile.

It's concerning me because I don't know at what point he gets everything wet (the bowl remains upright meaning he's probably been pushing the entire liner to the bowl and pulling it out again). What if he gets thirsty before I wake up and cant drink because he's spilled it all? What if he gets sick from sleeping under a wet liner? This morning while i was cleaning out his wheel and liners, I think he tried dunking the small blanket I left in the water again.

What do I do? :(

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
What is the actual temperature of his cage? I know it's 90 outside, but what about his cage? I don't know how common air conditioning is in the Philippines, but if you have it, is it possible to lower the temperature a little more if his cage temperature is too warm?

Liner diving a common thing and it could be a coincidence that he's picked a spot that results in him knocking the bowl over. You could try moving it and seeing if he continues to do it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could try installing a water bottle in addition to using a bowl as a backup should he be thirsty after tipping his bowl like you mentioned. Typically water bottles are not recommended, so like I said use it only as a back up and keep an eye on him to make sure he doesn't hurt himself on it, since he likely won't be used to using it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts