Hedgehog Central banner

Lime jello poop out of nowhere! :(

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ana 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've been really worried about our little girl for the past few days... My boyfriend thinks I'm absolutely crazy because of how obsessive I am... Part of me wishes I had bought Eva from a breeder (and if I ever buy another, I will, even if it means a waiting list and a road trip), but at the same time I'm glad we got her out of there, especially if she is pregnant (and since she needed antibiotics the same week we got her - major shame on Plano Pets)...

Anyway, I think she and I are probably equally stressed. :(

So, she finally got up and came out of her igloo for some mealies and I was able to take her out for some bonding time... She seemed totally relaxed and fine once she was out... After a while I gave her just a little tiny bit of peach baby food and she *immediately* had green jello poop - if I can even call it that. (Yes, she's had peaches before.) She didn't seem like she was stressed out at all though... and I'm afraid that if she IS stressed out and IS pregnant, taking her to the vet is only going to stress her out even more.

I'm not seeing pronounced nipples or anything, but I know there's still no real way to be sure...

She's been bark/chirping on and off as well...

This is the only green goo I've seen so far (well, since we got her a month ago). Could it be an immediate reaction to the baby food? Or maybe she's not happy with the sterilite bin instead of her cage?

Also, is it normal that she doesn't poop much until I take her out? Like, she's been in her new bin since last night and there isn't a single piece of poop in there... When I take her out, I give her a little while to do her business and she usually unloads a TON then. (Today she had a couple of pretty big, very normal looking poops before hanging out in my lap for a couple of hours... and then, after that, came the green stuff - by itself.)

Sorry about the wall of text and all the questions... I just wish I knew what was up with her... One minute she's acting fine, the next she's crazy apprehensive, the next she seems fine again - but then she starts pooping green out of nowhere - so obviously she's not fine... And, of course, the fact that she was in contact with a male 32+ days ago (not sure how long they were housed together, just sure that she was with him the day I bought her, which was January 16th) just adds to my nervousness. :cry:

If she needs to see a vet, I'll take her... I just don't want to freak her out. Otherwise, do you think I should perhaps move her to an unused room in the house where she'll have perfect peace and quiet and no people around whatsoever for the next couple of weeks instead of trying to still spend time with her? :| I hate the idea of cutting out interaction for 2 weeks if she's not pregnant, but if it's what needs to be done to be safe, I'll do it...

See less See more
#2 ·
It may be a reaction to the cage change. Has she had any more? One shot of off coloured poop is probably a stress reaction.

One reason they poo after eating or after they get up is because with food or movement, the bowels start to work. Same as us.

Are you counting her kibble? That way you know she is eating.

I wouldn't rush her to the vet yet. Monitor her food intake and poop output. She is probably fine.

#3 ·
Nancy said:
It may be a reaction to the cage change. Has she had any more? One shot of off coloured poop is probably a stress reaction.

One reason they poo after eating or after they get up is because with food or movement, the bowels start to work. Same as us.

Are you counting her kibble? That way you know she is eating.

I wouldn't rush her to the vet yet. Monitor her food intake and poop output. She is probably fine.
I haven't been literally counting it, but I put her up after she had the green poop and she ate a bunch of food right then...

I haven't seen any more green poop- but I haven't seen any poop at all since I had her out last night... and, by last night I mean probably about 4 AM cst. (I'm a total night owl.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.