Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I notice most cages tend to have some sort of lighting element. Is this merely for light or heat? We put our Cookieboots near the windows and let sunlight come in on her and her cage. Also since its August winter is nearing and I read all about the importance of heating your little hedgie to the just right temperature. I have read about heating blankets for the general bed/nest/snuggle area but the remainder of the cage well...should we get a space heater and keep her in the bathroom where we can maintain the temperature warm or is her being the the apartment with the heater blowing air towards/on the cage enough? Near then I do plan on getting a thermometer to gauge her temperature accurately.

G

·
The most popular heating source is the Ceramic Heating Emitter bulb as it can be regulated with a thermostat.

A space heater can work depending on the cage and such things.

A hedgehog should be getting consistent lighting during "Daytime" hours with a lamp of some sort, its important to keep the amount of light consistent so you hedgehog does not think the days are getting shorter and attempt hibernation.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TWCOGAR said:
The most popular heating source is the Ceramic Heating Emitter bulb as it can be regulated with a thermostat.

A space heater can work depending on the cage and such things.

A hedgehog should be getting consistent lighting during "Daytime" hours with a lamp of some sort, its important to keep the amount of light consistent so you hedgehog does not think the days are getting shorter and attempt hibernation.
Well good news I have a old light regulator from my dads saltwater tank! So we can time the light...EXACTLY WITH SCIENCE!!!! WE EVEN HAVE THE POWER TO GIVE HER MOONLIGHT!!!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Whether you need heat or not depends on what the thermometer reads now, and how big your appartment is.

When I'm at mother's, my boy has his own room, with his own personal space heater.

When I'm at my appartment, I'm the only one there, so I have full control of the temperature. So the thermometer reads at minimum 75F no matter what time of year it is. So my thermostat is usually about 76-77 during the winter, and my thermometer in the cage will read 75F. Now in the summer, I have the a/c at 78-80, because a/c air feels colder than it reads.

For light, I just have a desk lamp on a timer, turns on at 8am, and off at 9pm.

You may want to move the cage away from the window during winter if there are any drafts.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No drafts but alas my woman(not the pokey one) doesn't like the heat that and we have a lame wall unit to heat/cool our apartment(college apartment) so the temperature does tend to fluctuate BUT our hoggie doesnt get to cold or warm because our fan has a temp gauge and it goes from a low of 68(in the ac's fan path) and 78 without the air on in the heat of the day. As for heating how do you place the ceramic heater thing near enough to the cage so it warms it well. If yall could post pictures how you set up your heating it would be very helpful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Already read that...again I am requesting pictures of yalls heating setups please. It would help alot with ideas.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Even if those temps are in more or less the safe area, you don't want that big of a fluctuation in the temperatures. A large temp difference, even in safe temp zones, can still cause hibernation issues. I would get a thermometer for her cage now rather than later, so you can get a better idea of the temperature ranges in there.

Heating will depend on how you keep your home in the winter. Do you keep the heat on pretty warm, or pretty cold? You may need a higher wattage CHE or lower, depending on that. For her size of cage, though, I think 100 watts would probably be enough. I just have Lily's CHE's (I have two for her cage since it's a big, open C&C cage) sitting right on the top of her cage and that does pretty well. Having it in the middle would probably do fine for heating it evenly. If you have any other pets, I'd suggest ziptieing them in place, or clamping them so they can't be knocked off. The metal gets VERY hot and could be dangerous if it's touching something flammable or meltable. I found this out the hard way with a fleece blanket. :?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shaelikestaquitos said:
cookieboots said:
Already read that...again I am requesting pictures of yalls heating setups please. It would help alot with ideas.
I will post mine tomorrow :)
Thanks for that! I am a simple caveman who needs pictures and links and stuff to get things right. Our normal winter here we left it pretty cold...So what I figured was we could put her under the kitchen table with blankets around it to trap the warm air in. We just need a heater that gets to its temperature and then shuts off. Can yall show me links to the ones yall recommend.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
cookieboots said:
shaelikestaquitos said:
cookieboots said:
I will post mine tomorrow :)
Thanks for that! I am a simple caveman who needs pictures and links and stuff to get things right. Our normal winter here we left it pretty cold...So what I figured was we could put her under the kitchen table with blankets around it to trap the warm air in. We just need a heater that gets to its temperature and then shuts off. Can yall show me links to the ones yall recommend.
Just a thing about the blankets and kitchen table.....usually the floor is the coldest area of the room. Drafts tend to run along the floor too. About the blankets; your hedgie should not be covered in the day time because they need light. Without light, they will hibernate and they are not made to do so. Hibernating for a hedgie is a last ditch effort to conserve energy and prolong life when it's too cold or not enough light (i.e. winter). Hedgie pets have lost this ability but still have this instinct. It is dangerous and a hedgie that begins hibernating can die within two or three days. If your hedgie begins hibernation, you need to get them to the vet as soon as possible. Therefore, light and warmth are extremely important to your hedgie.

It's best to keep them in a place where they can get 12 to 14 hours of light (with a lamp on a timer works best) and a steady, consistent source of heat, away from drafts.

I don't use a space heater, I use a ceramic heat emitter. It's a heat lamp that doesn't give off light. That way during the night when it needs to be dark, the heat lamp won't interrupt his light/dark schedule. Hope this helps. Here are some links of the items I use.

thermostat (consistent heat - turns heat on and off as needed according to temperature selected)
http://www.amazon.com/R-Zilla-11939...0J3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314400807&sr=8-1

ceramic heat emitter
http://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Ceram...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1314400913&sr=1-21

clamp lamp
http://www.amazon.com/Flukers-Repta...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1314401515&sr=1-3

digital thermometer
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Aquar...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1314401669&sr=1-23

Best wishes with your set up. There is a lot of good information on the forum about heating, lighting, temperatures, and light schedules. Best thing is to be consistent.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am getting the automatic timed power strip from home which my dad used for regulating the light in the fish tank. I know they need light 12-14 hours and the only reason we would put her under the table would be with a light and the fact that the outlet is right nearby for her heater. So she would have light and heat but the table would hold the heat in under the table and there are no drafts in our place before we moved in I made sure the door was properly re-sealed. THOUGH I will glady take all the advice I can get. Would raising the cage off the ground and having the heater heat the underneathy bits would that work? OR we put her the lamp and the heater in the bathroom so she stays warm. So a reptile lamp and the ceramic heater OR the heater that shuts off at the right temp right?

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
As long as she gets light, stays out of drafts and gets consistent heat, that should be fine. I might stay away from the bathroom though because I don't know if the humidity from the shower is a good idea. I don't know how hedgies are with humidity of that level. I'm sorry I misunderstood the setup you would have under the table. I was just concerned about light and heat. I hope I didn't sound harsh. :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
cookieboots said:
God no y'all are just protrctive of hedgies and I completly understand your concerns!
Thank you. I'd love to see your set up when it's done. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts