Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i know there is a thread for cages but this is just for people who have c&c cages! I just finish making how mine will look going to get chloroplast tomorrow and just though it would be cool to see how some people did theirs! I will post my pictures tomorrow!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Thank you for posting! I am going to use the tupperware lid idea if I can find one around here that is big enough. I was using an extra liner under mine but the crumbs are everywhere. That might help corral the crumbs a bit better and would keep any water off the liner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
drpepperheather what are you using for heating? I have a c&c that is 2x3 and 2 stories. Right now I am just letting my hedgie Amara use the bottom floor (haven't finished putting sides on her ramp). I am using a 150 watt CHE but when I put the coroplast floor in on the second floor I'm not sure this will continue to work.

I'll have to take some pics to post in the future.

·
Registered
124 Posts
sunshine, I have two 150w heat emitters on each side, which are on a shelf that is about a foot above the coroplast cage floor. I have them hooked up to a thermostat called a Zilla 1000w Temperature Controller, and that kicks them on when the cage drops below the set temp, and turns them off once the whole cage is heated. Since mine is only one level, they do a really good job at keeping the whole cage at a consistent temperature.

It might be tricky to get an even heat using a heat emitter (or two) with a 2-story cage though. Where is your cage located? You might want to get some sort of space heater that will just heat the whole area. Since we're coming into winter, I've been seeing them everywhere and they are often on sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought about using a space heater but I don't know how long I'll be able to live with the entire room that warm. She is currently residing in my bedroom. My room naturally stays very warm and the CHE only has to heat the cage about three degrees. I currently have the one 150 watt CHE connected to a Zoo Med Repti Temp 500R so it also monitors the temperature and shuts off when needed. I have a digital thermometer on each level as well so I can double check the temp.

I tried putting my lamps on top of my cage similar to your set up and did not realize the bulbs are too big (even with a Flukers Deep Dome) so the bulbs are too close to the cage and started melting it. It's good your set up is working for you. It looks great and I'm sure your hedgie loves it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As promised, here as some pictures of Amara's C&C cage:

She was only using the bottom floor and I had not put in her liners yet. Amara doesn't actually use the water bottle but the breeder said all her hedgies did so I left it as an option:

This is the inside of the ramp (a little dusty before I installed it, sorry) that now connects the first and second floors. She took to it really quickly and seems to really love it:

·
Registered
8 Posts
How high do you think the coroplast should be if a baby is going to be living in this type of cage? I'm thinking about building one for my new hedgie, who will be about six weeks when I get him. I had sterilite bins for my last hedgehog, but I like how these look so much better!

·
Registered
83 Posts
imagine said:
How high do you think the coroplast should be if a baby is going to be living in this type of cage? I'm thinking about building one for my new hedgie, who will be about six weeks when I get him. I had sterilite bins for my last hedgehog, but I like how these look so much better!
I'd make it 6" tall. That will be tall enough to not be climbable by most adult hedgehogs. I'm assuming it won't just live in the C & C cage when it's a baby.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The coroplast sides of my c&c cage are 5 inches tall. I don't have any problems with this height at all. I looked through the examples of cages other people have on the forum (http://hedgehogcentral.com/forums/viewt ... f=8&t=1860) and I only found one metal/cube cage that has walls higher than 5". Some people are using cages like the Ferret Nation and do not have any walls other than the wire cage. Some even have cube cages and no coroplast or other material to cover the walls. It is important that if you decide to make a cube cage you use cubes that are 9 holes across and not 8. The size of each hole with 8 across is too big. Also, most of the store bought cages such as the Super Pet series do not have a plastic base that is more than 5" tall.

·
Registered
208 Posts
mine are 6.5". I think it depends a bit on your hedgie. Some are climbers that will do anything to get to the top whereas others never take their nose off the ground. Harley can reach his front paws up to the top of his cage and peak his nose over but he can't get his chunky body up off the ground :) He gave up trying after the first couple days.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I made the walls of Ziggy's C&C cage about 9 inches tall because the cage is three stories and he is on the top level. I really don't think he could squeeze through the bars, but I didn't want to take any chances since that would be a really long and painful fall. Now that he's older (and a bit on the round side) I am worried that he may try to squeeze through the bars and would get his head stuck, so I prefer that there are only solid sides where he can reach. Since the cage is pretty big, I think that even with the high sides there is still plenty of airflow.

So, I made the walls on my cage abnormally high since I am paranoid. Probably unnecessary, but it makes me feel better. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Adults can get away with lower sides and be safer than babies. Babies can often squeeze through the 1.5" grids and with sides 5" or 6" high, baby could easily pull himself up and try squeezing through. This could be life threatening if s/he gets stuck.

Before anyone says a baby cannot get over 5 or 6" sides, I had a 6 week old weaning in a 13" high bin. He had his low dishes and hedgie bag and smooth sides of the bin with no ventilation holes. He got out and I have no clue how he scaled those sides but he did. Some hedgehogs are escape artists.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Nancy i'd say all baby animals are escape artists :lol: they're all naughty curious little things and will do anything to go against what you want them to do. Makes me love them more.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Ceramic heat emitters or extra heating are recommended if needed for all hedgehogs. The cage temperature needs to stay between 74-78 degrees, and as steady as you can keep it, so most owners need to provide some way to keep the cage warm, as few people have their houses that warm all year round.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lilysmommy said:
Ceramic heat emitters or extra heating are recommended if needed for all hedgehogs. The cage temperature needs to stay between 74-78 degrees, and as steady as you can keep it, so most owners need to provide some way to keep the cage warm, as few people have their houses that warm all year round.
Thanks
I though they did well at 70 - 75 C?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the coroplast height help! I think I'm going to end up going 10", just to be safe. One more height question :roll: ... those of you who have a CWS, how do you make that work with a C&C cage? I know some people with multiple floors make each floor 1 1/2 cube high, but on a one level cage, is there a way to make it fit?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
anna m said:
Lilysmommy said:
Thanks
I though they did well at 70 - 75 C?
Only some are okay at 70F. That is too low for most. The majority are fine at 75 but some will need more than that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts