Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so since i got my little guy he's usually left a good mess on his wheel every night... and i gotta clean it... he uses it every night and bearly stops... this morning tho it seemed like he had only pooped in 2 places... now i'm not sure if he wasn't on the wheel as much last night or if he's not pooping as much... i'm gonna look tomarrow and see... but just so i know if i don't see much poop... should i feed him something different that has more fiber? or is there something special i should do?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
What is the temperature of his cage? This is the time of year for hibernation attempts to start and they don't have to be totally unresponsive. Sometimes being borderline cool just makes them less active, less poop, less eating.

My Daisy was cool last night and their room had only gone from 77F to 75F. Somehow my heater had gotten turned off. Thankfully the room didn't cool off more than it did.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His cage is set to 75 but my room has been up to 80 lately, he has been eating alittle less, witch also worries me, should I bump up his temp? Or is there anything I should look for?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
How much "less" are we talking about? And how much as he been drinking? Have you checked him over? Felt his tummy? The temp sounds fine...Maybe he's even getting a bit overheated? If the room and cage has been around 80 and he's used to 75, instead of hibernation, it might be estivation.

Also, to add to the hibernation comment about the heat....Have you started using alternative lighting? The daylight hours are getting shorter, and it's about time to need another light source to ensure they get their 12 hrs of light.

As an aside...The fiber comment...A lot here add GrapeNuts cereal, or infant rice cereal with their food. The rice cereal is easier as it's a powder and can be sprinkled on the kibbles. GrapeNuts is easy for them to pick out and not eat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.