Hedgehog Central banner

leonidas's biting issue

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  StellaWithaBow 
#1 ·
Leo is 5months old, and my boyfriend and i got him a little over a week ago. He is truly amazing, and quite the escape artist but i have been noticing some upsetting behaviour. We have a water bottle for him, the type with the metal tips, and sometimes it seems he gets so carried away he chomps on it! when i notice i take it away, so he doesnt break his little teeth, but sometimes he decides its not mine to be taking and tugs and tugs away trying to keep it. i put it right back after he lets me have it, because i dont want to deprive him of water:) but is there anything i can do to get him to stop? he wont use a water dish yet, he prefers to place some of his food in the water instead, or go on a rampage and dump it everywhere.

#2 ·
You should try getting a heavier water dish, biting on that metal could definitely hurt him!

Try giving him both options but with more water in the bowl and enough in the bottle. Maybe this way when the bottle dries up he'll understand that the dish is his only option.
Consider it like weening a puppy... :|

If he keeps putting food in it, you may just have to keep cleaning it. My hedgie used to do this too, but she learned that if I was asleep, she would have foody water :lol: it may just take time for him to learn that a dish is just as good as his bottle. Give him a new and possibly more interesting chew toy of some sort.

I know it sounds horrible but unless he stops biting the bottle he risks cutting his tongue on the inside of the ballpoint. And possibly breaking teeth with would hurt his little mouth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.