Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my husband and I will be leaving for two days this weekend.
A close friend of mine will be staying at the house, to watch the hedgies while we're gone. I feel very comfortable leaving the hogs with him, as he's been around them at our house often, and works in a vets office as a tech, so he's animal savvy.

I'm getting a list together of information to leave him, so far I have feeding/water schedules, phone numbers of the two e-vets in the area (both have seen hedgehogs before) and the number of our own vet, information on hibernation and temperature requirements.
I have also left him a number of extra dishes (in the off chance some break - I use ceramic), and an extra wheel.

Is there any other information you think I should leave? Or anything other spare parts i may have forgotten. We will only be gone for two days (more like a day and a half) but I want to be positive everything is taken care of.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'd leave info about how you clean the cage/wheel...

Then again, I'm so anal about that, I don't even let my husband do it :lol:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a really good idea. I'll leave extra liners as well.

I just have such a set routine, it's hard for me to figure out what's common sense, and what would not come naturally to a non-hedgie owner! :lol:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Gnarly said:
Is there any other information you think I should leave? Or anything other spare parts i may have forgotten. We will only be gone for two days (more like a day and a half) but I want to be positive everything is taken care of.
Don't forget to give him YOUR contact info. ;) Even though he may have your cell number, there's always the possibility you won't have cell service. If you're staying at a hotel or somewhere with a land line, I'd make sure he has those numbers as well.

If he's staying at your house, remind him that hedgies are nocturnal....so he doesn't think something is wrong when he sees them sleeping all day long.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Let him know what time their lights go on and what time they go off (unless you have a timer or something). How often you change their liners....

I'll try to think of more stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Make sure he checks them in the morning to make sure they haven't attempted hibernation overnight.
Mention about threads and hairs around tiny toes.
Check food and water bowls in the morning for poop. :lol:
Does anyone have a specific cage arrangement that they need or are not happy.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Enjoy your weekend. :D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. My hedgie-sitter is going to have one very long list. :lol:

Nancy said:
Does anyone have a specific cage arrangement that they need or are not happy.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Enjoy your weekend. :D
Oh yes! I would have totally forgotten that too! My little girl Q will seriously have a fit if her furniture is not to her liking.

& Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts