Hedgehog Central banner

Lazy hedgehog?? Maybe im just paranoid/worried???

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  DesireeM81 
#1 ·
Okay, so i am very worried about Clementine (My Hedgie). She is lazy, but just turned 5 weeks old today. Is it because she is just too young? Also when I put her in her cage, when I try to pet her quils, she will puff up and do a kind of hiss thing. Also I purchased a wheel, and a green tube (That extends to 2 1/2 feet) and I know she hasnt been on the wheel (there is no poop on it), and when she goes into the tube, she will just lay in the middle and sleep.

#2 ·
Is this during the day? She really won't be active then and as she is really young she will be sleeping a lot. My little one sleeps a lot still and she just turned 8 weeks.

Is her wheel on it's lowest setting or can you move it lower? She might not be able to get to it if it's too high.

Penny always puffs and hisses at me when she is in her cage and I have to move her for morning cleaning time and such. Your little one is probably just cranky that you woke her. Also some hedgehogs do not like their quills touched. Penny doesn't mind a chin rub or a quill pet while she is in my hands but if I put her down and try and touch she gets all huffy. Normal hedgehog behavior for me at least.

Clementine, which is a beautiful name btw, may also be quilling and she is in pain and grumpy. If you notice new quills poking through her a skin, a bath may be in order. To help relieve her pain and make her skin softer, put some oatmeal in a sock or washcloth and swish it in the water till it's cloudy and gently pour some on her back. Make sure the water is warm but not hot, like a baby's bath water and make sure she is completely dry before putting her back in her cage. A few drops of olive oil or flax seed oil on her skin or in her food may also help.

Don't worry, it's normal to be paranoid/worried as a new hedgie parent.

#3 ·
Is this during the day? She really won't be active then and as she is really young she will be sleeping a lot. My little one sleeps a lot still and she just turned 8 weeks.

Is her wheel on it's lowest setting or can you move it lower? She might not be able to get to it if it's too high.

Penny always puffs and hisses at me when she is in her cage and I have to move her for morning cleaning time and such. Your little one is probably just cranky that you woke her. Also some hedgehogs do not like their quills touched. Penny doesn't mind a chin rub or a quill pet while she is in my hands but if I put her down and try and touch she gets all huffy. Normal hedgehog behavior for me at least.

Clementine, which is a beautiful name btw, may also be quilling and she is in pain and grumpy. If you notice new quills poking through her a skin, a bath may be in order. To help relieve her pain and make her skin softer, put some oatmeal in a sock or washcloth and swish it in the water till it's cloudy and gently pour some on her back. Make sure the water is warm but not hot, like a baby's bath water and make sure she is completely dry before putting her back in her cage. A few drops of olive oil or flax seed oil on her skin or in her food may also help.

Don't worry, it's normal to be paranoid/worried as a new hedgie parent.
Clementine is 5 weeks today. Right after I put her in her cage, i'll try to pet her, and she'll puff up and kind of hiss. She likes getting petted. I also didnt know she might've been quiling. I thought Hedgehogs only quil whe they are 8 months?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.