Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This hasn't been occurring with Lily or anything, I was just wondering since summer is starting finally. But if the temperatures are on the higher end, close to 80, and the hedgehog has an unusual lack of activity, could this be a sign of aestivation like it is for hibernation? Lily doesn't come out and eat/run on her wheel if I'm up, so I can't watch and see if she splats out or pants or any of the other signs of being too hot.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Yes, over 80º is too warm and can cause aestivation. Hedgie would need to be cooled slowly. I would suggest an ice pack wrapped in a blanket placed near the hedgie.

·
Registered
124 Posts
To throw in another question along this topic about a potential sign: with hibernation, a hedgie will feel cool to the touch along his/her belly. With aestivation, is there an opposite sign, as in feeling too warm to the touch? I know they are mammals and are warm blooded, but I'm wondering if they have included some weird heat dispenser other than panting and splatting (aka, superman pose)? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm also wondering about aestivation. Sylvie has been active as much as I can tell that is nromal & eating fine. That said, my cousin was watching her for the last week, so would not have noticed any change. I've been back for two nights though and everything on that realm looks good (or rather poopy). She is digging under her liners and sleeping on the plastic bottom of the crate inside her house.

I did notice the last two nights while Sylvie was out, rather than exploring she would plop down and stare at me with her front legs outstretched (can't see her back legs from where she was lying/pillows set up on the sofa). While it is adorable, I'm concerned she might be too hot? It's been crazy hot hear lately (27*C+ which is 80.6*F, during the days) and keeping warm in the night. I'm in NS, so humidity is always high. I have a fan (floor thing) that I run. When I have hear out though on the sofa she won't come out from behind the pillows if the fan is on.

Now this all said, Bill came in & broke the humidity with the tropical storm yesterday so hopefully the temperature will start to balence back out to where is should be.

Does anyone think this is of concern? Myself, I find it warm but not unbearable. I'm more comfortable when the fan is on, but she doesn't like that. Suggestions? Or am I just a worry wart? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts