Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
before i finally decided that adopting rescues was more for me (because my first hedgie was a rescue.) i considered buying from a breeder over buying from a pet store.

i looked around for awhile and noticed that there seems to only be two breeders near me that have hedgehogs and they also both each breed about 6-10 other kinds of exotic animals which put me off. is this typical? it seems sort of a shady situation to begin with...i feel like profit seems to be the main interest in a situation like that, but i don't know.
also, one has bad information regarding hedgehog care, and the other one references an information page but the link is disabled. i also can't find any information about whether they are properly licenced! they say they are, but it doesn't even say what licence they have, shouldn't they be more specific?

i was turned off a bit by both of these breeders pages, enough that i decided at least in my area, rescues seemed like a better idea...but i know there are a lot of breeders on here, and i would still like a well formed opinion for the future in case i ever decide to buy a "baby" one day.

here are both their websites..
http://www.helenslittlecritters.com/index.htm
http://www.jandaexotics.com/index.htm

·
Registered
47 Posts
well in my opinion rescue is the way to go in your situation.
from what i read on this site, and then what i read from there sites it seems they dont know what there talking about.
if you still want to go buy a hedgehog from them go see them in person ask to see the ones for sell see how there treated look at there mothers, look for signs of sickness all that stuff. maby they take care of them wounderfully and they just havnt updated there sites.. i dont know i havnt been there.

so take the time call and ask to visit.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Neither one of those breeders are considered reputable. Look how many species they sell. That tells me that these animals are nothing more than a business.

You can check out the IHA and the Hedgehog Breeders Alliance site although there are many reputable breeders that aren't members. The best way to find a good breeder is to read the forums and to ask who is good. You will also find that breeders who are active on the lists and forums are the ones who truly care about the welfare and well being of hedgehogs. They are the ones who are visible and helping everyone with their advice. Their advice also shows their knowledge. :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes nancy, there were several things on both there sights that i was unhappy with, the biggest one being how many different animals they sell.

i went with my gut and contacted the HWS about adopting rescues instead...i just wanted a more informed opinion for the future...i think hedgehogs are it for me for life. :)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It's interesting that both of those breeders had almost the exact same incorrect information. It's almost like one of them copied the other.

It upsets me so much that the first one suggested a wire mesh wheel not to mention everything else that is wrong. It makes me think they just made up the information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts