Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little bit of a problem as I have not been able to spend enough time with my hedgie because I am working, going to school and interning. Luckily this will all end in 3 weeks but I have been feeling bad for my hedgie because I do feel neglectful toward her. I was wondering what people thought about kiddie pools when it comes to hedgies. I thought about making a little area for her to play in and run around in at night and I had heard that a kiddie pool makes a good place for this without making a mess in your house. My question is that I know my hedgie and how much she likes to climb. Is it possible that she could climb out of one of these?
I have her in a pretty big cage already [guinea pig size] and I was planning on if my parents allow me to do this that is have the side door to her cage open at all times and let the door into the pool. I would of course have to cut open an area on the pool for the door to fit into snuggly that way she could go in and out of her cage when she pleases without her getting out into the room which is my sister's old room/guest bedroom. My parents aren't too keen on animals as we already forced a cat on them [that they fell in love with pretty quickly] and I brought my hedgie back from a zoo summer camp that I worked at [which they haven't fallen in love with because of many hedgie poos and well they just think she's weird :)]. My mom especially gets onto me about messes and smells. But neways that was probably extra information but let me know what you guys think about kiddie pools and hedgies. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I have two plastic pools that I use for playpens with no problems.
If your planning on letting your hedgie have access to the pool at all times you will need a tall pool so your hedgie can't climb out. You could also make a lid for the pool to prevent an escape.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If she's already a climber I wouldn't risk it. If your dad is handy maybe he could help you modify some Sterilite tubs so you can expand your cage. Be sure to get tall ones and drill holes for ventilation. (see cage setup examples for some really creative setups people have done here.)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sounds like you have two things to worry about: hedgie climbing out and cat climbing in (assuming the cat you mentioned continues to live with you at this time).

Given the cat, I'd opt for either getting a bigger plastic-bottom, wire-top cage or a second one that you can connect with a pvc tube. I'm thinking that even if your cat plays "nice" with your hedgie (not really a risk I'd take), kitty could still do funny things like gobble up hedgie's food, leaving your quilled one hungry.

You could also do the Sterilite as mentioned, but put a top on it... you can ventilate that too. I'm just not sure how to make sure the top is sturdy enough to support a cat's weight if s/he decides to sit or jump on top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts