Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I am thinking, based on analyses, ingredients, and availability. Thoughts?

1. Wellness Indoor Health

2. Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck
~OR~
Natural Balance Green Pea & Chicken

3. Simply Nourish Indoor Chicken & Oatmeal
~OR~
Simply Nourish Healthy Weight Turkey & Rice

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
I'd go with the duck Natural Balance & turkey Simply Nourish. Personal preference, but I like to have as many different proteins as I can. :) Just keep in mind you'll have to see if your hedgie likes the foods, and also that Wellness has been too rich for some hedgies & caused loose poops. Not with all, so you could still give it a try, just something to watch for. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd go with the duck Natural Balance & turkey Simply Nourish. Personal preference, but I like to have as many different proteins as I can. :) Just keep in mind you'll have to see if your hedgie likes the foods, and also that Wellness has been too rich for some hedgies & caused loose poops. Not with all, so you could still give it a try, just something to watch for. :)
Thank you so much! You're the best Lilysmommy.

I will keep that in mind!

Hopefully Rosie will put some weight on.

Also, I know how this works when adding a new food:

Phase 1: 75% old food, 25% new food
Phase 2: 50% old food, 50% new food
Phase 3: 25% old food, 75% new food
Phase 4: 100% new food

But how do I take her from one crappy kibble to this blend?
http://www.hedgehogcentral.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
677 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I'd do it....

Phase1: 75% old food, 25% new food #1
Phase 2: 50% old food, 25% new food #1, 25% new food #2
Phase 3: 25% old food, 25% new food #1, 25% new food #2, 25% new food #3
Phase 4: 1/3 of each new food
Phase 5: Adjust/swap out food individually, as needed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I'd do it....

Phase1: 75% old food, 25% new food #1
Phase 2: 50% old food, 25% new food #1, 25% new food #2
Phase 3: 25% old food, 25% new food #1, 25% new food #2, 25% new food #3
Phase 4: 1/3 of each new food
Phase 5: Adjust/swap out food individually, as needed
Awesome, thank you!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
If you're looking for her to put weight on, you may want to choose a food with a bit higher fat. Is she underweight now? Is she a huge runner? What percentage of fat does her current food have? Under 15% is recommended for most hedgehogs, but runners & tiny hedgies often need higher fat to stay healthy. Your mix would be perfect for most hedgehogs, but if you need her to gain weight & keep it, it might be a good idea to switch one of these foods out with one that's around 15-18% fat & you can adjust amounts of the different foods as needed to suit her.

Personally, I add in one food completely before I start adding in the next one - so switch to 100% one new food over 2-4 weeks, depending on how she adjusts to it, then add in the second one until you have 1/2 & 1/2, then add in the third one until you have whatever ratio you want. But if she handles the switch well, Mel's way would probably be okay too. Just keep an eye on poop for any unusual consistency/smell/color (usually green, which indicates GI upset).

·
Registered
944 Posts
Depending on what food she is on now, she may decide she likes only the new food!

Yes, only one new food at a time, so you know if it is causing a problem. So get her through one change before you make another. One night of green poops would not alarm me, but make sure everything is back to normal before adding another food.

Be aware that many hedgehogs don't like the Natural Balance. Buy the smallest bag you can! (See if the pet store has a return policy too)

The different proteins are a VERY good idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts