Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search because I thought I'd seen something about this before but didn't come up with anything so I figured I'd just ask.

I clipped Quentin's front nails for the first time last night because they don't tend to get very long so I've never had to do it before. One was starting to grow out and had me concerned so I figured I would just trim up all of them. Well, all went well until the second foot when, after I was finished, he promptly jerked his foot away and started licking his toe. I got him to let me look, and I'd nipped the quick. After a fast dip in cornstarch it stopped bleeding, but by this time I'm feeling like a terrible parent--especially after he let me know how he felt about it. When getting his foot to examine it again, I must've bumped the toe that was hurting so he promptly chomped down on my finger and wouldn't let go. Didn't break skin, but it still hurts this morning. I deserved it, though, and he let me know it. I don't blame him at all, I would've bitten me too.

Anyway, I took the wheel out last night because I didn't want it to accidentally rip open again so soon after it sealed and possibly get bacteria all up in there from the poopy trail he'd be making on the wheel. I was just wondering if tonight is too soon to give it back, or if I should wait another night. He tore his cage to pieces last night, moving the liners and rearranging everything out of boredom before he settled on digging in his fleece dig box (with only one foot, which makes me feel horrible but I'm glad he's being smart enough not to rip it open again in there), so I know he misses that wheel. Any insight on the matter would be great.

· Registered
394 Posts
I have accidentally cut vex's quick, and he has run on his wheel right after. Vex also did not get defensive over it being cut, so you may have clipped some skin or something to cause him enough pain to bite you.

When vex tore out a nail (i still don't know on what) he didn't have his wheel for 3 days, and after that is looked healed up very nicely, and he ran on his wheel after that with no problems.

· Premium Member
8,954 Posts
I usually go by how long it bleeds afterward if they get the wheel that night. If just a trace of blood then they get the wheel.

I've had some that just cutting the quick and they hold a grudge, others I think I could cut a leg off and they'd still like me. :lol:

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm pretty sure I didn't cut the skin; I clipped the end of the nail and really thought it was far enough back not to be a problem. He was fine right afterward, and I got a good look at the nail. The bite was just after I'd dipped it in cornstarch and tried to look at it again, I accidentally bumped it--and I know that hurts for humans so I'm sure it hurts for them too. I think cornstarch might sting a little, also. It was truly my fault. He was being a good sport about it right until I did that, and he looked me right in the eye when he bit me like "Mommy, I don't want to do this but you're hurting me and you need to stop." We had about 20 seconds of staring into each other's eyes before he let go. It was painful, but cute in its own way. Only a truly devoted (or demented :lol: ) owner can appreciate getting bitten so hard for what seems like an eternity, I think. :lol:
I gave him mealies afterward (a few minutes after the bite, after he'd been behaving), then kept him in a hedgie bag on my lap and took a light nap with him on the couch for a couple of hours (I was just dozing and had him on my hip so I kept waking up if he'd move). When I got him out again to put him back into his cage, he unballed and was walking around and seemed to be fine, so I don't think he's going to hold a grudge--BUT I have an army of mealies in case he decides to. He probably will after I kept his wheel away last night. We'll see.
Thanks for the advice. He'll definitely get his wheel back tonight because it wasn't bad. I just wanted to make sure nothing happened. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.