Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new hedgehog owner and I constantly worry about the little guy and I just need reassurance. My room gets really cold in the winter and I am trying to find ways to keep my hedgehog warm. In my last post somebody told me about ceramic heat emitters with a thermostat but I looked in all my local pet stores and couldn't find one (can anybody recommend a website where I can order one?), so then I read about heating pads. I found a human heating pad that doesn't automatically shut off (so I can leave it on 24/7) and it has 6 different temperature settings and I set it on the lowest one and put it under the cage (which is sitting on the carpet). When I feel the plastic bottom of the cage, it just feels nice and warm. I don't think it's too hot. Will this be sufficient? Am I running any risks of hurting him or anything else?

·
Registered
666 Posts
First, easiest, and quickest change to make is to move your cage up off the floor. Heat rises and the floor is always a couple degrees colder. Heating pads under the cage are fine, but make sure it's only under a small part of the cage so hedgie can get away easily if he/she gets too hot and they are only temporary heating solutions, not a permanent fix (plus they aren't going to do anything to warm the cage itself or the air around it). Che's you can find on pretty much any pet store website I believe (petco, petsmart, etc), amazon, ebay, craigslist sometimes

You also need to be sure to have a digital thermometer in each cage if you don't already so you can monitor the temp at all times (with back up batteries easily accessible and on hand at all times, but never seems to happen at my house as they like to disappear on their own :)). It never fails that you get a sick hedgie then when you check or are asked what the temp in the cage is it will be at that time the batteries go dead.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It's pretty difficult to find some of the CHE set up supplies in pet stores, but trust me, they're worth buying! I've used a CHE with Lily's cage for over two years now and it works great. If your room gets really cold, you may need a higher wattage CHE, like 150. Depending on how big your cage is, you may also need two set ups to keep the cage warm enough. Another option is a space heater for your room, to keep your whole room to a safe temperature. Many people don't feel comfortable leaving a space heater on while no one's home though, so they use CHEs instead. Here's some links for each of the CHE parts -

CHE bulb - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... Id=3876121 If you have a Petsmart anywhere near you, they should carry them or be able to order them for you. This is where I buy mine.

Lamp - http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... oduct+Type Again, where I got my lamp. They're safe for use with CHE bulbs (you can get lamps elsewhere, but you HAVE to make sure they're rated for use with CHEs or you can cause a fire). You want to make sure you get the 10" one, it spreads the heat out better. These should also be found in store if you have a Petsmart around.

Thermostat - http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/rep ... ontroller/ This is the thermostat I have and it's also worked great, never had any problems with it in over two years. You can order them from Petco, but they're much more expensive there. I've never ordered from this site, but that's a great price for the thermostat. The 1000-watt one that I linked here has three outlets for it, so if you have to get two lamps, you can hook them both up to it.

Thermometer - Any digital thermometer with a probe works fine, if you don't already have one. Pet stores should carry something like this in their stores, so it shouldn't be as hard to find as the rest of the stuff.

Depending on how open your cage is, you may also need to wrap blankets around it to help hold heat in, especially since your room gets cold. Lily has a big open C&C cage (3 ft x 2 ft), so I have to use a space heater to keep my room at 74-76 degrees, then two 150-watt CHEs to keep her cage at 78-80 degrees. She likes it warmer than most though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts