Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok- Crowley is 20 weeks old, today on the dot.

She usually loses about 10 quills a week on average.

Well she lost her 10 for this week but than in the last two days alone she has lost another 10 on top of that!

She doesn't seem in pain or any grumpy- e r than normal, she's eating like normal and was fine during her bath.

She doesn't look or act sick, hasn't lost weight as far as I can tell. Eyes, ear, nose and back end ( and all that comes out of it) are normal so far.

So is this just late quilting since she didn't at 12 weeks or do you think I should be worried?

Anything else I should be looking out for as bad signs?

She gets a bath once every 3 days with equate no tear baby soap and vitamin e oil to avoid dry skin if that helps any.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Based on your description I would not rush to worry, but continue to monitor day-to-day.

Sophie did all of her baby quilling in one span, from about 6 weeks to about 12 weeks old. When she was about a year old, she lost a few quills a day for a few weeks. Now we pick up a quill on average of less than one a month.

Some hedgehogs do their baby quilling in stages; they lose a bunch of quills for few weeks - stabilize - and then lose a bunch more quills for a few weeks and stabilize again. 20 weeks is not quite an adult, so it is probably just another quilling phase.

She isn't losing a large number of quills and you don't mention that she is having a problem in any particular area; just losing some quills generally. If you take a toothbrush and lightly bring her quills up 'against the grain', you'll get a good look at her skin. Do you see new quills coming in.? She could lose quills without replacing them, but this young, I'd kind of be looking for more adult quills coming in.

Sophie lost a lot more than ten quills a week. Ten a day was low. Your hedgie may just be spacing out her quilling with more 'sessions' of quill loss and also less quill loss per session.

Your physical and behavioral description sound good, especially because it sounds like the quilling isn't aggravating her. Sophie went through her quilling with no problem at all, but this is an individual thing. Some hedgehogs go through a lot of discomfort when quilling.

I like the bath schedule. Sophie gets three mini-baths a week (Monday, Thursday, and Saturday). We don't use soap or vitamin E, just warm water and a good quill brushing and light rinsing for decontamination. Her quills are at the same the prettiest part of her and the dirtiest part of her. She gets a full bath with a generous amount Aveeno body wash and an under the faucet rinse every six weeks.

It reads as though you are taking a fairly light-handed approach with soap and vitamin E, so I don't see anything excessive there.

I would just continue to monitor for new quills (a good sign). She could lose quillls without new ones growing in, so don't automatically worry if you don't see any.

Keep an eye out for development of patches without quills (a bad sign). If that were to continue, you'd want a vet to check it out.

I would just keep notes and monitor for now. If it does worsen, you'll have a good record of the situation, but most likely (from what I read) it will pass and just turn out to have been a qulling phase.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much :) she's my first hedgehog and it makes.me.soo nervous when she doesn't quit fit under ' normal' when it comes to health things :p i researched for two years before getting Crowley so that I'd know what I was.doing and she still finds ways to make me.panic <3 I still love her though :p

I tried water only baths to avoid dry skin and such- to just clean her feet and belly but than she would be really grumpy afterword. So now she gets full baths soap and all and she loves it, I even got her own rubber ducky that she plays with.

She won't let me brush her outside of bath time so I'll have to check for new quills during her next bath.

Ha.... Yeah I may have panicked slightly, but I think she was at the breeders still for her other quill ings so I just have no idea what to personally expect with her- especially because she can be a butt when she really wants to be :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts