Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an odd question, but how long to hedgies live?
Ive looked at some sites and the ages vary
One said 2-4 years, another 4-8 and one said up to 16 years.
Some owners on her have lost their hedgies before their second birthday.
I am just not ready for o.p to go..hes almost 3 1/2.. :(

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Average lifespan seems to be 4-6 years, but there have been longer-lived hedgies that have gotten up to 8 or 9 years old, that I've heard of.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hahahahaha 16 years, what a dream... do you have a link to that?

Average is 3-5, 8 is very very old, 11 is the oldest recorded I believe, or 10 years 11 months?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I imagine that 'average' is just that, average. I'm sure you see such a large range because there is a large range of ages that hedgehogs live to, just like people.

Say that the average person lives between 45 and 60 years of age (not saying that's what it actually is, I don't know for sure and this is just an example). Does that mean that occasionally there isn't a child that passes away or someone who lives to 90? Of course not. We would all love to live to 90, but it's the exception rather than the rule. Does it mean that we won't live to 90? It doesn't mean that either-it just means that the odds are against us.

Hopefully your hedgehog will be the exception rather than the rule. I think we'd all like that.

I hope that made sense. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Haha, I say the same thing about Inky, since he is my baby and I obsess over him so much. People will ask me how I'll survive when he's gone, and I respond with a happy "oh- he's not going to die. It's not allowed." :lol:

Of course, I know fully well that's not true and have planned for the inevitable, whenever it may come.

orchidknits is right, an average is an average. Lots of hedgies die at age two. Lots of hedgies die at age 6. But most hedgies die in the 3-5 range. There are occasions where they will live to 8, while not exactly common, and the unimaginably long lives like Mr. Packy (sure hope I spelled that right! :oops: ) who holds the record. There are always exceptions.

·
Administrator
3,702 Posts
I've tried telling them they have to live to be at least 8, it hasn't worked for me :(.

Oldest I have had was 8 (my first). We actually believe she may have been one of the first crosses (hybrid vigor) since she would have been born in 1991-92. The youngest I've lost was 20 months, after battling cancer for 8 months. Most of mine have passed somewhere around 4 years, and the majority have been due to cancer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.