Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for advise for my brand new hedgie. I adopted 2 females on Saturday, and 6 days later one has giving birth in her cage. Did not know she was pregnant and breeder was shocked by it as well.
My hedgie has been friendly and playful, eats well. Water intake is not great however she does drink some. She is blind, has never had a litter before, and I am unsure of what to do. 2 babies so far and we are not disturbing the nest. I am unable to see her now and I am wondering how to monitor them, what to watch for, and what I can do to give them the best chances at success.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is the breeder willing to take the babies back once they are old enough, or were you wanting to keep them? If she is blind, I would suggest making her cage small so she can always find her way to her food and water and her babies are always close by.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is the breeder willing to take the babies back once they are old enough, or were you wanting to keep them? If she is blind, I would suggest making her cage small so she can always find her way to her food and water and her babies are always close by.
To add on: I would also monitor the other female hedgehog if they are in the same cage and make sure that she is not disturbing the babies of the other one. If she is, maybe move her to a different cage if you haven't already. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To add on: I would also monitor the other female hedgehog if they are in the same cage and make sure that she is not disturbing the babies of the other one. If she is, maybe move her to a different cage if you haven't already. Good luck!
I have them each in their own large cage so that is not a worry thankfully! The breeder is looking to retire from hedgehogs so that isn't an option. I am doing as much research as I can to give them as much of a chance as I can. She gets around well for a blind gal, she finds her food and water and babies with ease, would switching her cage possibly be more harmful then helpful? I will keep a close eye to ensure she is eating and tending to the hoglets but if she continues to eat and everything should I just leave her? Thank you for your advice!

·
Registered
325 Posts
In this case, I do think switching her cage at this time would be more harmful than helpful. I am no expert, but I would advise just leaving her and not touching the babies :)

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly with me but huffy with others.
2,011 Posts
Have a read of Emergency Baby Advice if you haven't already this will help with you the basics of things.

You could also message an admin they may be able to give you more advice and guidance!

I think as long as she is eating, drinking and babies all seem fine then changing it so its smaller will probably be more harmful than leaving it as it is.
Obviously don't move anything around either if she knows where everything is right now best to leave it and not change it all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts