Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
picknutpeach said:
Hi there!
I'm interested in getting a hedgehog but when I went to the pet shop and saw these cute critters, they only seemed to be sitting around. So, before I jump to the punch and buy one right away, I have some questions.

- Do hedgehogs smell? Could I keep one in my room without it smelling like shavings, pet shops, or poop?
Use fleece and the wood shaving smell wont be there, but woooh yes their fresh poopy does smell and when I had mine in the bedroom for a week it woke me up, it was so strong. I jumped up and washed the wheel and the later poopies in the middle of the night did not smell as strong. I do not detect a urine smell until the end of the week when I am changing their fleece liners. They have since been moved out of my bedroom and the only time their new room smells is in the morning when their wheel needs washed. The animals themselves, in my opinion, don't have an odor.
- Hedgehogs are nocturnal, so is there really a point to having it as a pet? It'll sleep all day and then be up at night...
I wake mine up from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m. and enjoy them while on the computer or watching tv or just carrying them around the house while doing various things. Five hours straight is quite a bit of time to spend with an animal if you are dedicated to spending time with it. People who like to stay up late probably spend more time with theirs than I do. When I'm gaming late at night, I like to shut off the lights and watch them play in their houses by the light of the monitor and keyboard. Too cute!
What can you do with a hedgehog? I know there are wheels and stuff but is it like a hamster or stuff? How much activity does it require?
They require their wheel, and its preferred they have time outside of their cage if it is small, to run around. I'd suggest a playpen for small animals for this. Throw in some small toys and its very cute to watch them. They like to push around toilet-paper tubes, small cat toys, burrow in blankets, etc.

I would like to suggest that you read this forum posting regarding their behaviors and personality, it can be a heads up to people considering them: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13

Also I'd look for a breeder near you rather than a pet-shop one. Breeders tend to socialize theirs which means it will be friendlier than one that hasn't been handled much.

·
Registered
902 Posts
picknutpeach said:
Thanks you guys! I do love hedgehogs, they're adorable! But when we went to the pet shop, my parents kind of brought it all down by saying those things and stuff like they didn't want to waste money on something that would just sit around all day and keep me up at nights.
For the record, we have a dog, so we are dog people...but I want a hedgehog so bad!
I'm a dog person as well, I wouldn't take that comment too closely to heart. It was a generalization. Hedgies are a roll-of-the-dice when it comes to their different personalities, we wouldn't want you to get something you didn't enjoy. Good for you for coming to get informed and it never hurts to stick around and enjoy them through us! I love looking at other people's pets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.