Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a hedgehog (Whom I am yet to name). I simply wanted to make sure that everything that he does is normal. I got him last Tuesday (1 Week Ago) and he seems to be getting used to me. When I first bought him he was often hesitant to come out of his cage. He would often ball up (He doesn't really bite or hiss/jump) and hide when I would wake him up. However now he seems to be warming up to me :) When I wake him up he takes about 2 minutes to come out (I tend to leave him alone for that time) After that he will begin walking around his cage. I find picking him up quite easy as he often doesn't ball up but instead squirms around. I will then let him sit on my lap where he will constantly try to burrow into my crotch (Yes I Was Wearing Pants). He has yet to pee or poo on me. He seems to be eating and drinking regularly (I have refilled his water bowl twice and his food once). He has been sleeping in one of my t-shirts as suggested by many other forums that I have seen. I would like to scratch his stomach but he doesn't seem to want me to (But Thats okay). He is okay with my picking him up but he doesn't like me to hold him for longer than 20 seconds, after that he just squirms around until I let him down. Either way I simply wanted to know some advice :)

Also He Doesn't Like Mealworms should I try Celery instead?
Also I was thinking of naming him Roy (because he is my boy :))
Here are Some Photos of him
http://i.imgur.com/vL6XlUb.png
http://i.imgur.com/poqsK9w.png

·
Registered
528 Posts
Celery wouldn't be great with the strings, but if you check out the stickies in the diet and nutrition board, there's a good list of sage hedgie snacks. Also, on a personal note, I've found that a lot of hedgehogs don't start becoming interested in treats till they're between 4-6 months old. If you check out the forums, you'll see a lot of people asking the same "My hedgehog won't try any treats!" question, and it's invariably a younger hedgehog. Keep trying, offer the same treat multiple times, and leave it in the cage overnight in the food bowl so they associate it with food.

Other than that, you say you've only filled the water twice in a week? Hedgehogs need fresh water every day. If it took two-three days to empty the water bowl, you should get a smaller bowl, or just be resigned to dumping old water every day. Hedgehogs do much better with clean water vs stale. The same goes for their kibble. Try to only put 2 tablespoons of food in his bowl a night, and throw away the old food when you put in the new. This will also help you get a better idea of your hedgehog's average food consumption, which gives you a better insight to their health if anything changes.

Good luck! He looks adorable!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts