Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new hedgehog owner and got mine in June. My hedgehog has been doing this a little recently where I would pick him up and put him on my stomach but he would twitch/jerk aggressively with a hissing sound and I try to check if something got in between his quills or if something was hurting him but he would just do it again more aggressively and would want to run or hide. He has gotten used to me and let me pet him and such so I'm not sure if this is a medical issue since it only last for a minute before he calms down. This mostly happens when I wake him up bit idk of that's the main cause for it since he is still 4-5 months young.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not super experienced or anything (only on our second hedgie whom we've had since May- still learning lots!) but it sounds like he may still just be getting used to you and/or is a little shy guy. In regards to him letting you pet him, our girl is the same way. Sometimes we can straight pet her, sometimes she just gets annoyed. I think this is normal.

Is the hissing the normal 'huff' that they make or something else? Our last hedgie was super on edge all the time, the entire time we had him. Sometimes, based on their personality, they're just a little bit more apprehensive. Especially when they're waking up... they can be very grouchy. :) Maybe before go to wake him/take him out, say his name a couple of times to let him know you're there? And then before fully taking him out, move something near him or move the pillow/hide out of the way to let him know you're there and give him a moment to wake up before handling him. Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am wondering if he is quilling. That makes them especially grouchy for a short time. But sometimes they can grumpier some days more than others when you wake them up. I never know what I’m going to get when I go to get my girl and she is super friendly. 😊

1 - 3 of 3 Posts