Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got Izzy on Wednesday and after a mix up with the heater finally got her settled in yesterday. Thursday morning I went to clean her wheel as I'd heard her up all night running on it (no sound from the wheel just the pitter patter and pause of little hedgie feet). To my surprise there were only two little poops, after searching the litter box I found the rest. She has been burying them! My theory is that she puts her little tocks off the edge or she jumps down and digs (as I heard the pausing and the digging part as well. Is this burying of bodily function normal? I know some people are lucky enough to get a hedgie that poops in the box instead of the wheel, but it seems universal that they pee on it. Izzy doesn't do that either. I know she's drinking because I marked the water levels carefully and there's a notable difference, but there is never any pee on the wheel and she hasn't had an accident in her homecage which has a liner instead of litter. I was under the impression is was an involuntary reflex to the running.

Should i be removing the litter and putting down some paper towel to make sure she's doing all her business or am I being a worry wart (Plus she loves to dig, I think she'd be a little put out)

Other then her appearance of brilliance she's been very happy in sociable. She hasn't balled on me once and the minute I put my hand in the cage she comes over and puts her quills down so I can pick her up. she's quite vocal too, she makes little cooing noises like my guinea pigs used to when she runs on her wheel, and walks,and sits in my hand... I think she just likes making noise lol

Anywho thanks for the help if anyone has any thoughts, I'm learning alot just by reading other peoples posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow you got lucky with a good tempered hedgie. It took me a month before mine put his spikes down when I tried to pick him up. He buries his poops too but I don't think he does it on purpose. I think he just digs and runs around a lot and they get buried. Izzy probably does the same thing all night. Another possibility is that she wants to keep her poops away from where she plays and sleeps and contains it in one spot. I've had a lot of pets who always pooped in the same spot out of habit I think. I wouldn't worry about Izzy doing her business, she seems like a good hedgie.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts