Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,963 Posts
I can't help a ton, unfortunately. Lily had liver cancer, but we didn't figure out that's what it was until the day I decided to go ahead and euthanize her, so I didn't have much time to make many changes. Kalandra has the best advice regarding diets & treatments, so check out the links Annie posted, and I'm sure Kalandra will come by sometime to offer more advice for you.

As far as time to go...use your best judgement. One thing I remember someone suggesting (and I don't remember if it was on here or elsewhere) is think of the three things she loves most. Eating, wheeling, playing with a particular toy, etc. Once she stops doing those things...she's likely not having a great quality of life & it might be time to let her go. With Lily, she'd been kind of iffy for a few months (losing weight, eating less, etc.), and had been definitely sick for a couple weeks. She wasn't eating, I was syringe-feeding her round the clock (which she wasn't a huge fan of), and was having bad poops due to her medicine. It was quite obvious she wasn't feeling good at all, and I felt horrible for her.

The last day we went to the vet, we knocked her out, the vet realized the bruising from drawing blood was still very dark & extensive (ten days afterwards), and then found a large mass in her abdomen that wasn't there ten days before. My options were keep up treatment & give her more time (when she obviously already felt terrible), try an exploratory surgery to see if it was something that could be removed (with a chance of either losing her on the table or having to just euthanize her during surgery without me there), or just euthanizing her then. I chose the last one so I could have a chance to say goodbye. A quote from Nancy helped the decision as well - "Better to let them go an hour too soon than a day too late". I would definitely check with your vet about whether they would be willing to come in at night or on a weekend or holiday to euthanize her if she takes a turn for the worst one of those times - having her suffer for another day or two because the vet is closed wouldn't be good. Personally I'd rather euthanize before they're in really bad shape to spare them the suffering than to let them go on their own. But it just depends on the situation, so it's never an "always do this" thing.

Sorry for the long rambly story! I hope it helps at least somewhat. I'm so sorry that you got this news & had to join the forum in such a hard situation. *hugs*
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top