Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had Alice for almost three months. I had her in a bin and she would come out every night to run (and poop in) her wheel. I moved her to a bigger, much nicer cage and added a black heat lamp. Now she never comes out of her sack unless I drag her, which I do at least once during the day and every evening for about a half hour. I have the heat lamp on a timer. When the lamp is shut off during the night for about an hour she runs in the wheel. She is eating well and is very friendly once I get her out but I am concerned because she is in the sack all the time. Am I worrying needlessly?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Not needlessly - she needs to come out on her own to eat, drink, and run. I'm guessing the heat lamp is one of the shaded light heat bulbs sold for reptiles? Unfortunately, as you've found, those aren't good for hedgehogs since night time is when heating is most important...but so is darkness. A CHE (ceramic heat emitter) bulb is what you want for a hedgehog heating set up. They don't look like light bulbs - they're flat disks with a knob where it plugs into the lamp. They'll be more expensive than other reptile heating bulbs, but they don't emit any light, which is the important thing. You can get them cheaper online, but personally I think it's best to just buy them in person - it's not uncommon for them to be physically malformed, and buying in person you can take it out of the box to check it over before buying. You can also return it much more easily than buying one online. Make sure your heating lamp is rated for use with CHEs too - it should have a porcelain socket. Heating lamps without that, that don't say they're safe for a CHE, are a fire risk because they can't take the more intense heat of the CHE bulb.

Edit: I deleted your other post since we try to avoid/discourage the bumping of old topics (it can get confusing). It's better to start a new topic for your issue, like you did here. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts