Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot believe how sick people are...

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other- ... Z206667726

Just to translate... a little.. the breeder is offering the "leftovers" of his breeding to the highest bidder by advertising how many hogs the buyer can sell in a month...

Aren't there enough hedgies out there? I am still disgusted by how many people are selling their hedgies on Kijiji here in Montreal that were purchased from a breeder.

I wish people would respect hedgehogs more...

URGH!!!!

R.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
hello
we are a breeding pigs for many years. We have a website that generates 3000-4000 hits per month with an excellent reference. We are looking for someone interested in a return to our website and our livestock. (Potential sales hérisseaux 15-20 per month)

We also have a pet shop that specializes in the hedgehog which will also close its doors. We sell all the accessories of the shop lot, with the displays and everything!

We also have some age adults reproduce that are available for adoption and can continue farming (7 males and 9 females)

The shop was already on the website. The Web address of the rental is paid until 2015 and accommodation is paid until January 2011.

Lot prices available. inventory for the shop or more information, contact me via email.
Here is the whole ad, and this is a prime example of people who don't deserve to live on this planet. This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach and makes me want to do something to the individual. I don't see his web address, otherwise I'd go buy his domain lease out from under him, or at least send some computer friends of mine to the web site to take it apart. I personally sent him a message and told him what I felt, I'm sure I'll get some stupid remark back from him.

This guy is probably the reason for all the rehomes in the Montreal area, and god knows what kind of condition he keeps them in, he's probably inbreeding them so there are genetic defects in the blood lines, god, all I'm going to say is he is lucky I don't have a passport, otherwise I'd be too tempted to go visit him personally. Not that any animal should be milled like this, but I find hedgehogs are on their own level of being a pet compared to rats, hamsters, gerbils, even ferrets. I'd call Hedgehogs "special needs" pets due to the heating and lighting requirements, socialization and so forth. This guy does nothing but spreads the plague in the name of money. I feel sorry for his hedgehogs, and for all those people who do not do the research, they just see a YouTube video and go "oh how cute, lets get one" and then are disappointed because they got a giant ball of hissing clicking meanness and don't know why, and then later wonders why they found their pet curled up in a ball dead in the 65 degree room. Sad.

I don't have too heavy of a religious belief, but Karma is something I do believe. In the end, his day will come, and he'll end up at the Rainbow Bridge with several hundred ticked off hedgehogs ready to tear him limb from limb.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That is very sad :( He mentions that he has a speciality Hedgehog shop that sells all the accessories you would need for one but doesn't list any info to check it out. Not that I'd want any of his stuff I just wondered if the stuff he was selling was even the right stuff. I have a feeling I already know the answer anyways. It is very sad when someone treats an animal as a commodity.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Since you can read french rtc, maybe you could contact this person and as for the website address. I have a couple of ideas but not being able to read/speak french I can't tell for certain.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Sorry about taking so long to get back to this, I don't know how I missed it. I'll go ahead and write him in French and see if I can get any info on it. I'll get back with an update.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I wrote last night and got a reply with a name, address and an inventory of stock. Some of the stuff on the inventory is stuff not on the website. Im not sure if Im supposed to put the info on here so I'll pm with it just in case.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Someone should arrange a raid. If I could get to Montreal, I'd definitely do something about this. (I couldn't actually read the ad, had to rely on Puffers' translation. I was never very good with French, couldn't get a grasp on it.) Those hedgehogs need to be rescued, the poor things are being treated like objects instead of living, breathing creatures.

Personally, I think this person should be dragged out back and shot, but not before being put through various unspeakable tortures.

I always feel sad hearing about things like this; those poor animals have done nothing wrong, and they're almost undoubtedly suffering. It makes me feel even worse knowing that while my hedgies are spoiled and loved with all my heart, these ones are just items to be sold, cash cows, if you will.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I just tried free translations and it appears as if this breeder is quitting and is trying to sell off everything and have someone take over their business.

This is what I got from free translations:

bonjour
we are an animal husbandry of hedgehogs for several years. We have a Website which generates 3000-4000 visits a month with a very good reference. We search somebody person concerned has take back our Website and our animal husbandry. (potential of sale of 15-20 hérisseaux a month)

We also have a boutique as animals of company specialized for hedgehog who will also close his doors. We sell all attachments of the boutique in lot, with display stands and everything!!

We also have some adults in age to reproduce who are available for adoption and which can continue animal husbandry (7 males and 9 females)

The boutique is déja on the Website. The tenancy of Address web is paid until 2015 and the accommodation am paid until January, 2011.

Available prices of lot. for inventory of the boutique or more information, contact me by electronic mail.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does anyone have SPCA ties in Montreal? If this guy is "farming" hedgehogs I doubt it's all up to code.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I don't think it translated properly when it said farm. These translating sites don't always translate the word its supposed to be.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that if you're in the business of breeding for the right reason.. you should just allow your stock to stop breeding or sell them off individually. To sell the business as a bug money making mahcine is totally wrong in my mind...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nancy said:
Since you can read french rtc, maybe you could contact this person and as for the website address. I have a couple of ideas but not being able to read/speak french I can't tell for certain.
I will attempt to find out.. if anyone has gotten the info. they could PM it directly to Nancy.

RtC

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sela said:
Someone should arrange a raid. If I could get to Montreal, I'd definitely do something about this. (I couldn't actually read the ad, had to rely on Puffers' translation. I was never very good with French, couldn't get a grasp on it.) Those hedgehogs need to be rescued, the poor things are being treated like objects instead of living, breathing creatures.

Personally, I think this person should be dragged out back and shot, but not before being put through various unspeakable tortures.

I always feel sad hearing about things like this; those poor animals have done nothing wrong, and they're almost undoubtedly suffering. It makes me feel even worse knowing that while my hedgies are spoiled and loved with all my heart, these ones are just items to be sold, cash cows, if you will.
It is very possible that the animals are being well treated. I just don't think that one should market the business as being a money making machine.. I would gladly buy the business if I had the space but I don't see that this ad will get the "right" person involved...

Quebec is the capital of puppy mills I believe in Canada...

RtC

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
rtc said:
Quebec is the capital of puppy mills I believe in Canada...

RtC
I think you're right and I think they are the capital of uncaring hedgehog breeders as well.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Hey guys, I live in Montreal.

Puppy mills and other animal mills are a HUGE problem here, there are petitions every summer to stop them... so far with no success.
It also does not help that we have the loosest animal cruelty laws in all of Canada, so a lot of "breeders" get away with a lot.
Arranging a raid would be very difficult here, because the Montreal SPCA has been accused of fraud and other such things. In short, not only are their awful breeders, but there are also awful shelters here too.

I volunteer for a no-kill, nonprofit animal shelter here, and they're in debt because people around here don't care enough to support the independent animal shelters.

I could try arranging something, but I highly doubt it will be of any success.

I was thinking of starting a hedgehog rescue organization here, so if anyone in Montreal is interested, please contact me!

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Arranging a raid would be very difficult here...
I don't think a raid would ever be a good idea. Usually it is animal rights groups who go and do things like that, and end up releasing a bunch of animals into the wild where they can go die a cold miserable death or be eaten by something else. To think that hedgie people (or anyone who supports keeping animals) might be associated with something like that wouldn't look too great, IMO. But I am very against animal rights, I swear I dislike them as much as the people actually abusing animals. Anyone who supports owning hedgies should be for animal welfare and not animal rights. :p

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Arranging a raid would be very difficult here...
I don't think a raid would ever be a good idea. Usually it is animal rights groups who go and do things like that, and end up releasing a bunch of animals into the wild where they can go die a cold miserable death or be eaten by something else. To think that hedgie people (or anyone who supports keeping animals) might be associated with something like that wouldn't look too great, IMO. But I am very against animal rights, I swear I dislike them as much as the people actually abusing animals. Anyone who supports owning hedgies should be for animal welfare and not animal rights. :p
I think in many instances a raid is exactly what is needed. The Global Exotics seizure is a prime example. If animals are being abused or neglected then they need to be gotten out of the situation. It's unfortunate that one fanatical group in particular makes legitimate animal rescue groups look bad but even that fanatical group does do good on occasion, the Global Exotics seizure again is a prime example of a fanatical group exposing severe neglect and cruelty.

I'm all for animal rights. Animals deserve the same rights as humans and children. They should be treated with respect and cared for the same as children should be cared for. The penalties for abuse and neglect should be no different than for children. Right now, animals don't have many more rights than your toaster or table and some animal rights groups are working to try and change the legal status of animals.

As for raiding the breeding business under discussion here, there really isn't any grounds to do so. Whether we like it or agree with it, people who breed animals do have a right to sell their business and as long as the animals are not being neglected or mistreated, there really isn't anything we can do about it. We don't know the circumstances for her selling and while selling off her hedgehogs sounds cold and heartless, perhaps something has come up in her life that she has no choice and is no longer able to even care for them. Selling 15-20 babies per month, she must have a huge herd of hedgehogs.

shaelikestaquitos becoming a rescue in Montreal would be a great. I suggest you join the Hedgehog Welfare Society and become approved to be a HWS rescue contact. You could do so also with the IHA. Quebec has no approved hedgehog rescues and there are a lot of hedgehogs needing homes. Rescuing can become expensive and vet bills high. You also need to have a separate room to quarantine any newcomers.

What is the name of the shelter you volunteer at? Do they take in hedgies?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts