Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so here is the issue

I have had Hyde for 4 weeks now, and he is about 15 weeks old. Love my boy to death.
I got used to getting poked right a way and up until this week really haven't had a problem. The week before last my boy got fleas and my vet had me give him a dose of revolution, and it worked wonders. So that on top of he is quilling right now.. so that is where he is at

Issue: lately I have received a few pokes that were a little deeper than others, I didn't think nothing about it at the time, as it really doesn't hurt me. I always wash my hands before and After handling him. But over time I'm noticing these spots are swelling up, and turning into red whelps. They hurt like crazy with any contact. AND they are pealing weirdly (almost look like the way pressure warts peal if anyone has had those before). I have about 10 of these now in various stages of "development" as I have started calling it.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience with anything like this, or something similar. If they get any worse I'm going into a doctor to look at, but wanted to see what others had to say first.

Thanks for any help, comments or anything on this. :?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I sometimes get little tiny red itchy bumps where quills make contact, but the fact that they are swelling and peeling is concerning. If I were you I'd definitely go see a doctor and see if they have any recommendations. I know everyone here will tell you that you shouldn't wear gloves to handle a hedgie, but in your case, it might be necessary because it sounds to me like you're having an allergic reaction.

Is there anything on the hedgie that you might be allergic to instead of hedgie himself? maybe you're using oil for dry skin, or maybe some revolution from the vet still has traces? any soaps or anything?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering if its from the revolution, cause this started only after I treated him with it.

As for Items on him: for his baths I use a no tear baby shampoo that I use on my hair as well, and I used olive oil for dry skin (last night I switched over to vitamin E like was recommended to me) So I really don't think its anything there. And he is on fleece so it cant be his bedding

And considering I get him out and hold him for up to an hour or 2 a day (him sleeping on my lap as I work on my computer) and get in the play pen with him after that most days to play with him, its odd that I only have 10 marks, not a lot more
And they are not bad enough that I would use gloves with my little boy, I would hate to do that cause he loved to be petted and handled.. so yeah

I called my doctor this morning, and she wants to have me send her pics and then she will determine if i should come in and see her, or if she should start making all the paperwork to refer me to a dermatologist (I'm in college, and I use student health, so we will see)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doctors have no clue on the painful sores i have

They think it may be a virus that was introduced through the pokes by the hedgehog.. but really don't know

thankfully I have no new sores.. and I have handled Hyde just as much as before

1 - 4 of 4 Posts