Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i was looking at all of your photos of your hedgies and i noticed something.
Isabella has a different shape, than all of yours. her shape is that of an hourglass, she's the the beyonce of hedgies. it literally goes in then comes out, she eat regular amounts and relieves herself the normal amount.
is this normal?
she does have an injury she's had since i got her, she doesn't use her right leg much due to a wheel accident.
could this be a reason for her ...diffrent..shape?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hopefully someone more knowledgable will come on but I am pretty sure that if she is hourglass shaped ) ( then that means she is probably malnourished. Some are skinny and have a runners body but there should not be an indent on the sides. What food are you feeding? What are the protein and fat content not to mention ingredients? That might be a big factor. Also if she is injured she could just not be eating well and may have to be syringed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i have been feeding her a variety, i figured she could use more protein so i bought Go! cat turkey,duck, and chicken but was told it was waayyy too much protein so i immediately took it from her, she had friskies, but was told it wasn't good either, i've tried eukaneuba but she doesn't like it. she won't eat cooked meat. so i just decided to give her something she likes (meow mix) even though it's not the best for her, at least she'll eat it, she eats regularly.
i have been looking for the food on the list but pets stores in sackville don't carry any of them that i could see. i did find chicken soup, but it was for dogs :(
she seems perfectly normal and happy, her poop is normal and everything, it's just her shape, i'll try to post a picture is she can stay still

·
Registered
581 Posts
She is not getting any nutrition from the food you are feeding her. It is mostly fillers and all that does is make her feel full until she poos, she doesnt retain any of the nutrition because there is none. She is basicly starving to death while eating regularly. Have you tried ordering the food from the internet? petco.com is a good place to start.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Even if all you could find for chicken soup was for dogs try it. It's better then what she is eating. All that you would need to do is break it up into smaller bits (coffee grinder or rolling pin). And since they carry dogs maybe you could special order for cats. Have you tried googling all the other brands? If you do and find the web page then you should have a store locator. Sometimes it's the store that you least expect that will carry exactly what you are looking for. If all else fails you may have to travel. We go 3-4 hours to get chicken soup for our little one, though I know sometimes that's not an option for everyone, I highly doubt you never leave the town you live in so look at places you will be going soon. You will probably find something there or on the route. Anyways hopefully they help you find some good food for your little one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i can't order any online, i'm not old enough for a credit card, and everyone else in my family is against them.
but i think i'll go pick up chicken soup for dogs and break it up in smaller pieces
i didn't know i could do that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.