Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got Xena yesterday from a pet store and they said she was 8 months old, she is very outgoing and I think she has been handled a lot. She is huge though and looks pudgy and overweight, so is she overweight? I will post a few pics of her.
p.s. does anyone know what color she is?
Thanks ^_^
Her First Bath
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... 0_4729.jpg
Getting Ready To Dry Off
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... edited.jpg
Grumpy Head
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr15 ... 0_4746.jpg

·
Registered
49 Posts
there are a few tellers that can tell you if she is overweight: Can she fully roll into a ball? and take a look at her legs. Does it look like she has "hamlocks" as some have called it. It's basically like fat that is built up in that area and makes them large near the top. Some HH are bigger without being fat while some can be small without being malnourished. It all depends on the individual HH. What food are you feeding her? It should be a cat food with around 30% protein and 8%- !5% fat (probably on the lower end if you are worried she is fat). Reaper has a great list under the food section. Also does she have any exercise equipment or time? A wheel, time running around outside of her cage, or some even give them baths to swim in (don't recommend this since their skin can dry out quickly).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
umm im feeding her Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul Adult Light and wellness healthy weight. Ive never really seen her roll in a ball because she is very friendly but i think she can. She does have a wheel but does not have any interest in it. ill look to see if her hamlocks are big or not. thanks you gave me alot of good imformation. ^_^

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Welcome to HHC! I see your sisters around quite a bit. :)

She does look a bit chunky but not excessively huge. If you could get her to exercise, that would be great to burn some of that off. The food you have her on is great, so you don't need to change anything there. If she won't run on her wheel, make sure she is getting some other exercise each day.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok we have a little pen that ill let her run around in so she can get a little more excersice but dont worry ill supersvive her at all times. hopefully the weight will come off and maybe she will try her wheel if not ill just let her run around and stuff thanks ^_^

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool i named mine after xena the tv show. She reminded me of a warrior lol. shes also kind of a biter she tried biting my sister cause she was clipping her toenails and xena did not like it lol. ^_^ i dont think shes ever had her toenails clipped either cause they were very long they still are a little but they look alot better. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
for trying her wheel i know i had to teach my boy, Hector, how to use his wheel. i'd pick him up and put him on it, let him walk and figure it out, and i kept doing this until he started to run at night on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts