Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
opinons please - I am trying to look for the best cat food I can at the moment and theres vey little on the recommended list that is available in the UK:

Hills Science Plan Adult Chicken Light:

Description: Science Plan Feline Adult Light Meets The Requirements Of Adult Cats Who Need Fewer Calories And May Tend To Weight Gain Due To Reduced Activity Levels Neutering Or Other Circumstances. Excess Body Weight Puts Particular Strain On Your Cat's Bones Joints Muscles And Internal Organs (Including The Heart). The High Proportion Of Fibre In Feline Adult Light Lets Your Cat Feel Full Without Consuming Too Many Calories.

Ingredients: Chicken (minimum Chicken 40 %; Minimum Chicken And Turkey Combined 55 %): Dehydrated Chicken And Turkey Protein Ground Rice Ground Maize Maize Gluten Meal Cellulose Soybean Mill Run Animal Fat Digest Potassium Chloride L-carnitine Supplement Calcium Sulphate Salt Taurine Vitamins And Trace Elements. Naturallypreserved With Mixed Tocopherols Citric Acid And Rosemary Extract.

Nutritional: Protein 31.0% Fat 8.2% Carbohydrate 39.2% Fibre 7.8% Moisture 9.0% Calcium 0.89% Phosphorous 0.65% Sodium 0.30% Potassium 0.64% Sodium 0.30% Potassium 0.64% Magnesium 0.07% Omega-3 Fattyacids 0.10% Omega-6 Fattyacids 1.96% Copper L-carnitine 470mg/kg Taurine 0.17% Zinc Vitamin A 10 000iu/kg Vitamin B Vitamin C 70mg/kg Vitamin D 510iu/kg Vitamin E 550mg/kg Beta-carotene 1.5mg/kg

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know its a bit low in fat which is good to hedgies prone to being overweight but I have a runner hog so was thinking of mixing in a 'junk' food of about 16% fat to balance it - what do you think? I just need to find 1 more good brand them to make the mix complete - you dont recommend Iams do you?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
No, Iams isn't recommended. If you have a runner hog, a food with higher fat content would be fine to mix in.

Hedgehog madness x said:
i thought you werent aloud any more than 10-12% fat anyway??? but maybe im wrong
It partly depends on the hedgehog. Some people have hogs that love to run and have a hard time keeping weight on with low fat foods. LizardGirl's Inky is one of them. She has to find foods with higher fat, closer to 15%, in order to make sure he doesn't lose too much weight. However, if you have a hedgehog that puts weight on easily, or one that doesn't run a lot, you don't want to have a lot of higher-fat foods in their mix. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts