Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you think that this toy is appropriate for my soon-to-be hedgie. I have it beside a pencil sharpener to show the size comparison. As adorable as it is, I am a tad worried:

1) It has loose threads that are the spines, and I heard that loose threads can be bad sometimes.

2) It has a hole in the back that you put your finger in to use it as a puppet (as strange as that sentence sounded! :p)

What do you think? Yey or Ney?

Thanks! :)

Mackenzie

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hehe, I think I've seen these on Amazon.com, finger puppet hedgehogs.

I can't say for sure but the quills would worry me personally since they are loose threads. The deal with loose threads (and even long hair) is it can get wrapped around their leg and if it goes unnoticed, it can become tight, cut off circulation and either kill the leg, or hedgehogs have been known to amputate their own limbs if something bad happens. So I'd check if any of those 'quills' pulls out easily, but personally I wouldn't use it, I'd just keep it near their cage cause its cute. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, and I think you're right. I'll just keep it by the cage to keep my hedgie company while I'm at school. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a stuffed hedgehog in my hedgehog Pricka Lee's cage and she just doesnt pay much attention to it. I thought I could use it for her to not feel so lonely when I am not around but I dont think it made much of a difference. It is cute though :)

·
Administrator
3,585 Posts
I have that same hedgehog sitting on top of my monitor staring at me at this very moment. The threads on it are pieces of yarn that have been unraveled at their tips. I have pulled and pulled on them and they do not come out. He is a pretty well built hedgehog. (Mine has soaked up coffee a few times as he dives into my coffee mug occasionally and is now named Maxwell). He is also a fairly small hedgehog at about 3.5 inches from nose to bum (not including "quill" length) I measured a couple of the "quills". Most are just over 1/2 inch, I had a couple that are just under 3/4.

To be honest though, I wouldn't use him in a hedgehog's cage. For starters he is surface washable in cold water only. If he was to get pooped or peed on, you aren't going to be able to easily clean him. Plus he is just too darn cute to put in a hedgehog's cage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts