Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
is he just kinda eating it just cuz he is curious or does it look like he is literally eating the whole thing and then swallowing it , cuz 1 time pinchita ate her own poop and she spit it out right away she didnrt like it. if she is really eating it then i agree its probably a nutrition problem.

·
Registered
651 Posts
always always always always have food present! We cannot stress this enough!!!

Besides your hedgie should not be forced to eat at 8pm anyways....that is still daylight during the summer months, hedgies eat at night and should always have food so they can eat when they want to...not when you want them to!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all my hedgehog is not starving or in any sort of poor condition. His wake up time has always been 8pm thats when he wakes up. As far as always having food present....will not work with my hedgie he WILL eat himself to death. I tried that once and he was so full he couldn't function properly.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You asked for opinions...
And the opinion is... he is starving and/or is nutritionally deficient.
If given the option to eat actual food, or poop... I'd rather feed him proper food...
But that's just my opinion, you might be ok with him eating poop.
Though you may have to look into some sort of wormer that would be safe for hedgies if you chose to continue to limiting his food and forcing him to eat poop, as otherwise, he'll most likely get a tummy full of worms.

What brand of food are you feeding?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If he is gorging himself when he has an unlimited supply it is most likely because he has gotten used to not having enough to eat so is over eating because he knows it won't be there later on.

He is eating his poop for a reason and if he does not have food available when he wants/needs it, he will eat what is available.

Eating at 8pm when he wakes up is fine but they also eat all through the night when they are up and active and some eat during the day as well. The majority of their eating is done in the middle of the night.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
funny how your hedgehog is the only one eating its feces...when its the one that doesn't have food all the time...think of any starving animal..they will gorge at first then taper off...i dont' know of anyone that restricts food especially on a young hedgie. If you had gotten him from me and I knew of this i would take it back or report you for not caring for it properly

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thank you for your advice.....I will no longer be posting on this board since I feel everyone attacks rather then calmy giving me advice. Have a nice day :) By the way he rarely eats his poop so it's not a diet problem.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
She asked for and was calmly given advice but chose to not listen. Of course people are going to get stronger with their responses to try and get the point across.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Maybe the food that's being feed is not getting digested properly?
Happens with dogs when the food being feed is poor quality full of fillers and such.
Nikki is a great breeder and loves hedgehogs she just wants the best for every hog out there.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
how much calm advice do we give before trying to make then understand something that is common sense? till the animal dies?...till it loses its quills from malnutrion? Have you ever seen what happens to a hedgie that is suffering from malnutrition? I have...and I had to watch her die at a young age from health issues due to previous malnutrition. I'm sorry if she didn't want to hear the truth...but everything i said was..and I did try to say it nicely to start with ...which did no good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well he is getting high quality food and enough of it I was just trying to figure out if it was some sort of behavior certain hedgies demonstrate. Dogs for instance sometimes eat their poop to hide smells from other dogs. Plus I am a little flustered because some of the information on this forum is incorrect in going with my vet's information. My hedgie does not show any signs of malnutrition. If you asked for more symptoms before automatically assuming I'm starving my hedgehog....that would have been calm.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
melymac said:
Well he is getting high quality food and enough of it I was just trying to figure out if it was some sort of behavior certain hedgies demonstrate. Dogs for instance sometimes eat their poop to hide smells from other dogs. Plus I am a little flustered because some of the information on this forum is incorrect in going with my vet's information. My hedgie does not show any signs of malnutrition. If you asked for more symptoms before automatically assuming I'm starving my hedgehog....that would have been calm.
There is a few other hedgie sites you could try if you don't like this one here is a link to one
http://www.hedgehogworld.com/

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.