Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new hedgehog today! :D
Finally, lol.

Anyway, I wanted to give him a bath because he's bit dirty. Do you think that Fresh N' Clean Oatmeal and Baking Soda Shampoo (for dogs, by the way) would be good to bathe him with?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Unless is is absolutely, totally disgustingly filthy, I would not bath him yet. Most hedgehogs do not like baths and it is not a good way to start a relationship with him.

Since you just got him today, you should do minimal handling of him and let him get used to his new cage and home. Tomorrow, you can spend a bit of quiet time with him and work up from there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing is, it looks like he has a little crust on his ear, and I just wanted him to be clean.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Even if he is a little crusty/dirty, still listen to Nancy, she has a lot of experience with hedgehogs and knows what to do, most, if not all people on here follow what she says. Just wait a little while before doing anything major with him, he'll be okay for a few days or a week. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I don't take him a bath even if he's really dirty, has pooped feet and crusty? Okay...........

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Not for at least a couple of days since relocation/new homes for a hedgie can be stressful alone, and then if he's one who does not like the water at all, could stress him right out to the point of illness. If he's social enough I'd say a foot bath probably wouldn't kill him, fill a dish with enough water to soak his feet in and clean them up, but I'd wait at least a week for a full on bath.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nancy said:
Unless is is absolutely, totally disgustingly filthy, I would not bath him yet.
This. If he's REALLY dirty, then a quick bath might be okay, but unless he's absolutely desperate for one, the answer is no, you shouldn't bathe him yet. Please don't get upset because you didn't get the answer you wanted.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Unless you really really want to scare your hedgie and give him a bad experience in this brand new home, and possibly stressing himself to the point of green mucuosy poops, then by all means, go right ahead and bath him.

If you are very desperate to clean his feet. Leave him in the cage while you prepare the sink. Put about 1-2 cm of water, and then a layer of fleece. Let the fleece soak up the water, so it's damp and mushy. Then, you can let your hedgie walk around on this wet and mushy fleece.

And if you are desperate to clean his ears, soak a piece of fleece in warm water, and wring it out really well. Then, as you are cuddling, you can place this damp fleece over your hedgie and massage his ears.

Just make sure he is thoroughly dry before putting him back in the cage.

Also, just to point out. Anything with the word "shampoo" in it is normally too drying to use. So unless you follow up with an oil rinse, then no, it's most likely too drying.

Personally, I would let him get all dirty for at least a week. It'll make him feel better too as he spreads his scent around in his new and unknown home. Scent is very important to them, as it will dictate what is "safe haven" and where they can be comfortable and relaxed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just cleaned his ears and feet. :)

I'm going to wait a bit before actually bathing him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts