Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need advise again.

today my hedgie sneezed and a little piece of snot came out of his nose. as i understand he has cought a cold. should i see a vet as soon as possible, or maybe there is something i could do myself?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If he sneezed once, it may be no cause for concern. What type of bedding is he on? If shavings, or carefresh switch him to cloth liners. Perhaps something was irritating his nose.

If he continues to sneeze or has a runny nose or more snot then a vet visit is required. There is nothing you can do yourself if it is a respiratory infection.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Was it just a sneeze when he woke up that forced a booger out, or is it a lot of sneezing with a runny nose (especially if green or yellow), bubbles from nose, watery eyes? If it was just a random sneeze and you don't notice any more sneezing or snot, it was probably just a sneeze and nothing to worry about. If it's the second one and there's a runny nose and lots of sneezing/coughing, you should get to the vet in the next day or two because it could be an upper respiratory infection that if left untreated could develop into pneumonia. The vet can put your hedgie on an antibiotic that should help clear it up before it develops into anything worse.

*edit* Nancy got it first :) */edit*

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my hedgie has kind of damp (if i can say so) nose. it s not wet or dripping. he huffs and puffs quite much, sometimes sneezes once or twice. this time i woke him up, he had a piece of shavings on his nose. i removed it, then the sneeze came followed by a snot. snot was yellowish. snotty sneeze happened only once. his eyes are ok, beady bright and angry, 'cause i woke him up. he eats well, runs a lot, and generally looks quite ok.

i shall watch him even more closely this evning. if snotting countinues, he is going to see a vet.

thanks a lot for your replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts