Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my hedgehog for about a week now and I have some concerns that I'm not sure if I should take him to a vet for. He seems to be quite active (running almost all night) and has been eating, drinking and pooping pretty regularly. However, I've noticed the last two days that if I go to get him out of his cage that he gets really nervous and then poops slimy green. It really almost seems as if it is ME that is making him poop green. At first I thought he might be sick, but now I realize that every time is has happened, it has been because I tried to interact with him. All of his other poops have been brown and solid, soft, but solid.

Am I doing something wrong? Should he see a vet? Is it ME that's making him sick?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been reading a lot since getting my hedgie a lot and I could be wrong, but so far it seems that its not entirely non normal for hedgies to get green poopies at first with a new home. They are under a lot of stress and new conditions. Check the foods your feeding her to make sure they are good quality as listed as such to make sure. But Im sure someone will be along shortly to help out a bit more. Perhaps you should move in a bit slower when you got in to get your hedgie. You could be moving a bit quick and this scares the poop out of her. um. literally.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you haven't already, put an old shirt with your smell on it in the cage. This will help your hedgie get used to you & can reduce the nervousness. How long has the green poo being going on? Keep up with gentle bonding (letting them sit in the hedgie bag on your lap) & they'll slowly get used to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! I did try the shirt thing and he typically does really well with handling, has even stopped huffing so much when I go to pick him up and will sleep on my lap in the evenings for awhile. The green poop started two days ago. I called the vet and they said they think it sounds like just nerves, but I'm still so worried that something might be wrong:(

·
Registered
151 Posts
My hedgie will get the occational green poop for a day or two if I just move his cage around, and sometimes when I change out the liners :lol: It can be really frequent in some hedgies. If he is eating/drinking/pooping fine, not losing weight, seems active, has no marks or injuries I would wait it out for a bit. You've only had him for a week, my hedgie didn't normalize his bowels for about two weeks when I first got him (it is very stressful for the little guys).

Just keep an eye on him and if everything changes then maybe a vet visit is in order. Right now he just sounds like a nervous little guy, which is totally normal! Good luck :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts