Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It's a crap food.

Look at the ingredients. Mostly...almost all...fillers

Almost all commercial hedgehog foods are "crap". There are a select few that won't kill your hedgie if you feed it, but it needs to be supplemented by a good quality cat food.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you look at the ingredients, it's really not a good food. The first five ingredients are: bloodmeal, soybean meal, whole roasted soybeans, tallow, and cane molasses. In fact, there is no meat, or even meat meal, anywhere in this food. It's mostly filler. Also, too many dried mealworms can cause bowel compactions.

You need to look at ingredients of a food, not just the guaranteed analysis, to know if it is good for your hedgie or not. There should be at least a meat meal, if not an actual meat, as the first ingredient. Also, things like corn meal etc are fillers, which provide no nutrition for hedgehogs.

Most people recommend making a mix of dry cat foods not because it's hard to find commercial hedgehog food, but because even the best commercially available hedgehog foods are junk food. I'd stick to one or more of the foods on Reaper's list.

Edit: Immortalia beat me to it! :p

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks you guys! I may just switch to the Chicken Soup cat food and hope that makes Fabio's poop not stink lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts