Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a ZooMed 10'' clamp lamp with a 100w ceramic heat emitter, that kept my 2x3 c&c cage cooler than I'd like but still within a safe range, but it stopped working, I returned it and prepared to order a new one. In the meantime I purchased a 5.5'' ceramic lamp (also ZooMed, rated for up to 100w) and set it up, flat down on a grate over my cage, and wow at first glance it worked so much better! The thermostat (ZooMed Reptitemp Digital Thermostat) easily keeps the cage in the 76-78° range. My only concern is the area right below the lamp hovers at 81-82° degrees when the lamp is on (which admittedly isn't very often, I use multiple fleece liners that seem to hold the heat in the cage really well). I checked with my thermometer probe and the heat disperses very quickly, it's only that warm in that one spot. My question is, is having that much variance in temperature in the cage safe? It doesn't seem to be bothering Caspian any, he's running around and happily digging in the digbox (which is directly below the lamp, in that warmer area, he's actually buried in the attached picture). He's got a ceramic tile in his cage and I've never seen him lay on it or do anything other than push his toys into it. I just don't want to do anything that'll potentially hurt him.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
If it was to hot he wouldn't go under it, and he would splat.

Seems perfectly fine to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it was to hot he wouldn't go under it, and he would splat.

Seems perfectly fine to me.
Yeah, no splating or splooting to speak of. He seems.
his usual happy hoglet self. He's the most easygoing non-picky hog I've ever had. I'm wondering if I should even order the new lamp since this one seems to be working so well.

·
Registered
Holly is 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,053 Posts
Oh thats good then he isnt hot or anything so likely no issue there.

If this one is working well and keeping the heat more then maybe just stick with this one and not bother.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have separate heating for the room where the animals are (hedgehogs, chinchillas, turtle). The room is additionally equipped with an Air Choice infrared heater, and a diesel generator is installed near the house in case of a blackout. Once, the animals stuck a little, when there was no light for a day, after which they decided to spend a little money, but provide normal heating for the animals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts