Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Holly was 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,262 Posts
You would be better taking out the ramp and looking into making your own, or finding someone who can help you make one.

That ramp is so steep, you would be better with one that has 2 short ramps and a little flat platform half way.

You also wants to make sure that all ramps has sides, hedgehogs don't have a good depth perception, which means they will easily walk off the side and fall, which can really hurt them, the sides help to stop them going over.
Also add sides to the top the ramp opening is.

I would also add a litter tray under your wheel, the tray will help them with knowing the area and they ALWAYS go to the toilet while using their wheel.

I know its already been talked about replacing the wheel, just want to give some more tips, make sure the wheel is like 13" or bigger, and make sure it has a flat surface no ridges as ridges have been known to cause issues with feet.
You really want a bucket wheel, caroline storm wheels are the most popular, some people make their own there's a thread in the diy section on this forum about that.

The water bottle, are you planning on using it? If yes then don't. These are no good for hedgehogs, they can cause damage to their teeth, get tongues caught, and hedgehogs can really struggle drinking enough water with them. A bowl allows them to drink a lot more naturally, which means they are more likely to get enough water.
Make sure you use a ceramic bowl to make it hard for them move to avoid tipping it as some hogs do that.

Also you may want to cover some of the bars on near the bottom, of the level and on the little level, just to make sure you prevent any climbing. They mostly do this when bored, but its better to be safe than come in to a stuck hedgehog, or an injured one where it just fell back down. They are good at climbing up but not back down.

Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You would be better taking out the ramp and looking into making your own, or finding someone who can help you make one.

That ramp is so steep, you would be better with one that has 2 short ramps and a little flat platform half way.

You also wants to make sure that all ramps has sides, hedgehogs don't have a good depth perception, which means they will easily walk off the side and fall, which can really hurt them, the sides help to stop them going over.
Also add sides to the top the ramp opening is.

I would also add a litter tray under your wheel, the tray will help them with knowing the area and they ALWAYS go to the toilet while using their wheel.

I know its already been talked about replacing the wheel, just want to give some more tips, make sure the wheel is like 13" or bigger, and make sure it has a flat surface no ridges as ridges have been known to cause issues with feet.
You really want a bucket wheel, caroline storm wheels are the most popular, some people make their own there's a thread in the diy section on this forum about that.

The water bottle, are you planning on using it? If yes then don't. These are no good for hedgehogs, they can cause damage to their teeth, get tongues caught, and hedgehogs can really struggle drinking enough water with them. A bowl allows them to drink a lot more naturally, which means they are more likely to get enough water.
Make sure you use a ceramic bowl to make it hard for them move to avoid tipping it as some hogs do that.

Also you may want to cover some of the bars on near the bottom, of the level and on the little level, just to make sure you prevent any climbing. They mostly do this when bored, but its better to be safe than come in to a stuck hedgehog, or an injured one where it just fell back down. They are good at climbing up but not back down.

Hope this helps you.
This all helps so so much. I rescued Mr. Pinky a year ago and wasn't planning on keeping him until he stole my heart! His original setup was just a small cage so we have added the second floor and other stuff. I hear him with his water slurping really fast and hard. Hey when I learn these things I feel like a bad daddy but I have to remind myself he is my fist pet. Its not like a dog that is already understood. I am learning and he seems to love me and be happy. is it true when they make that squeaky noise with their nose that means they are happy, that's what I read?

·
Registered
Holly was 3 years old. Super cuddly and loving.
2,262 Posts
I think its only bad, if you are fully aware of it and still chose to do it. Otherwise its just learning, especially with the less known pet care like APHs
Sounds like you already improved his set up a fair bit.

Yes they make little squecks when happy, some even make chirp noises!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts