Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stop my hedgehog from peeing or pooping on my lap? I wish I could hold him without him calling nature on me. Is this because he is just a baby, or because he is scared? I know I can just pick him up and put him in his cage whenever he wants to do his business on me, but sometimes, while I'm carrying him to his cage, little drops of pee and poop fall on my floor. EWWWW. :shock: :?

Also, I don't want to do this every time I hold him, it is beginning to be a burden. Is there any way to train him not to do this?

PLEASE REPLY!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've read many post that says that hedgies are mostly peeing/pooping while freashly awoken, If you take your little as soon as you wake him, he's more likely to call nature on you, try letting him do his thing before taking him

·
Registered
83 Posts
As I've read with others and experienced as true with my own hedgehog they tend to like to go a few minutes after being awoken. I'll wake Sophie, hold her a minute or feed her her treats and then as soon as she's done with treats she gets put in the litterbox. About half the time she goes. And if she doesn't go right away I put her in the litter box for a little bit every 5 minutes that I have her out until she goes. Once she's gone she typically won't go again while I have her.

·
Registered
902 Posts
You can try to watch for cues ahead of time. Mine sleep on my lap but as soon as they wake up and start looking around I put them back for a potty and bit of food. Other times they have figeted around as if uncomfortable so I put them back. Mine are "safest" to hold and snuggle from 4 p.m. to about 9 p.m. at the latest without pottying on us but we are not playing with them, just holding them in their blankets.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
My hedgie is pretty predictable and like said above goes a few minutes after waking up. I'll pet him while he shuffles around the cage then usually within 5 minutes he's running to his papertowel to do his business. Then I take him out and I don't ever get peed or pooped on. If this doesn't help any you could always just sew up a small lap blanket for when he's playing that might help, other than that though you'll probably just have to deal with the poop cause thats just one of those hedgehog things :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sylvie did this when she was a baby. I started giving her foot baths when I'd first take her out, so she'd use the bathroom in the sink instead. There was also one time that I was letting her roam on the floor & then saw her tail go up. I quickly picked her up, flipped her onto her back to carry & put her back in her cage. There's only been one 'accident' since & I believe it was my fault as I kept her out for quite a while (she actually went & hid behind a pillow)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts