Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, I'm pretty sure there isn't any way, but I thought I might as well ask.
Ok, so by now, I know that hedgehogs are little pooping machines. Its one of their most famous traits. :/ Since its pretty awkward to try to cuddle with your hedge with a piece of paper towel draped all over you, does anyone know a way to reduce his pooping?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You can get them out, wait a couple of minutes, and then put them down in a litter box, or on paper towel and see if they'll go then. Most people have noticed that they have to potty soon after waking up, so perhaps if you get him in the rhythm of waking up, cuddle for a minute, potty on paper towel, then more cuddles, you'll end up with less poop on you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Lilysmommy said:
You can get them out, wait a couple of minutes, and then put them down in a litter box, or on paper towel and see if they'll go then. Most people have noticed that they have to potty soon after waking up, so perhaps if you get him in the rhythm of waking up, cuddle for a minute, potty on paper towel, then more cuddles, you'll end up with less poop on you.
Yup that's what I do, and it works. Believe me, after having Bandit peeing on my leg and grinning over his shoulder, I knew how to fix his biscuit <.<

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've noticed with Gunther, that the more he fidgets, the sooner he has to go. So we'll cuddle, and he'll relax, and soon after we start cuddling, he'll start to fidget, and get restless, and try to move around or reposition himself. He often huffs a bit right before, like he's so put out that he has to go AGAIN, or (what I like to think) it's getting in the way of awesome cuddle time. So then i let him down and he goes on his wheel (the only place he will poop... usually) and he goes, and then gets off and waits for me to pick him up for more cuddling. After that, he's good for a while, and falls asleep soon after too! ^.^

So maybe notice behavioral changes before they poop. Otherwise, waiting 2-3 or 4 minutes and then putting them back down in a 'safe zone' is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you have an old towel or fleece blanket that you can designate the hedgehog towel/blanket you can use that to cuddle. I always have a blanket between me and Quigley because otherwise he tries to burrow under my clothes and bite me.

·
Administrator
3,604 Posts
Is your hedgehog pretty young still? Often as they age they start to gain better control and don't go on you as often. I hardly ever get pooped on by Rose or Poptart, and only get pooped on by Cooper if he has eaten and not gone recently. Also, watch your hedgehog, often you can see signs that they need to go. With Rose, she starts to get very insistent that she needs away from you (not her normal self). If you don't get the hint, she will eventually stand in the "pooping stand" and raise her tail... last chance, if you don't pay attention you are getting defecated on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts