Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And by DIY I mean getting some no pill fleece cut to size and putting it in the cage; folding it over, no sew. Obviously if the custom ones with the dual layer are better I will do whatever is in my hedgie's best interests, but I read some people just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a fleece blanket and it works. Clearly Wal-Mart would be the more cost effective way to go but in terms of functionality what, in your experience, would be the better way to go?

·
Registered
815 Posts
I currently use both. As Nikki said, the custom made ones do look better and in my opinion easier to clean (I hand wash them before putting in the washing machine) they're also good in the summer. I then have just loose fabric which I purchased by the metre. I made them big so the fleece over hangs the cage base to make it warmer in colder months (also prevents liner diving) and drape one end over the cage at night to keep the heat in better since I have a wired cage atm. With loose fabric, make sure to cut off the ends if there's a border seam, if you buy extra you can also make fleece strips and mini blankets to put in the cage for extra bedding. I also use two over one another to make it more cushioned and comfortable :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I actually made my own, we took two fleece pieces and two pieces of Uhaul blankets (they’re super absorbent) and used the fleece to sandwich the uhaul and sewed it all the way around. I definitely recommend making your own if you know how to sew. Also if you need instructions I feel like the guinea pig community has more information about making them.

You can also buy uhaul online just go to their website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.