Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what temp. do the hedgehogs cage need to be? also, how do you know if they are going into hibernation? and how long do u have to stop them? also, if they do go into it... will they die? or can you bring hem out of it ? and one last thing, if i am comfortable with a sweatshirt , that means the hedgie will be ok? :?:

·
Registered
44 Posts
From what I have read, the temp generally needs to be 71-79 degrees Fahrenheit. But no lower than 71. If they are going into hibernation, they will feel cold, not eat, and be lazy... if the do start, you need to get them warmed up ASAP, but you can't just put them in a really hot area, it has to be more gradual that that. you can tuck them under your shirt for example and that will get them warmed up. If there is a hibernation attempt, they usually try it again within a week...
Did I miss anything? Ohh, and if they haven't warmed up within 40 to 60 minutes, Get them to the Vet right then!

Here this is better than what I said, I'm sure.... viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also to add to Andy_Leigh's response, once after warming her up from a hibernation attempt she will be very wobbly and she won't be able st stand up and walk. Don't freak out! Thats just her bodies response to warming up . I had a hibernation attempt once and this happened and I thought she was dying! ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
The temperature has to be a MINIMUM of low 70s. Usually a good temp is 75-76, but some hedgies prefer it even warmer than this. Heat is mandatory for hedgehogs and if your hedgie is attempting hibernation then you should definitely crank up the heat.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
All hedgehogs are different and require a temperature that is adequate for them. I've had ones that even with a room temperature of 76-77F they still required a heating pad full time or they'd hibernate. This included the middle of the summer. I've had a few that are ok at 71. It seems to be that 75-76 is the temperature that the majority of hedgehogs are comfortable at.

·
Registered
508 Posts
my hedgie daisy likes it hot in hercage. she likes it around 76-78 any colder and she will try to hibernat, and i think if you need a sweatshirt that would mean its pretty cold, to cold for hedgie

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Anna makes a good point. If you need a sweatshirt it is too cold for a hedgehog. I usually go by if I'm comfortable in shorts and a tank top, then my hedgehogs are fine. :lol:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well, i am a very cold person though. when everyone is in a t shirt i have to wear long sleeve... i am always cold! So, i know how my hedgie feels ! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts