Hedgehog Central banner

Is red skin normal for a white-bellied hedgie?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  quillenmom 
#1 ·
I noticed last night hat Little Foot's skin on his belly and legs has a redish color to it. I was wondering if that was normal for hedgehogs, or if something is wrong? I'm pretty sure it has always been that way since I got him in November. The vet has never said anything the two times he has been there, however, I am switching vets because I dont believe the current one is very thorough.

#2 ·
It's hard to say because Im not 100% if mine is white bellied or algerian but I do notice from time to time that my hedgehogs skin looks pink. I get really worried about it because I can be a paranoid hedgie mom and don't want his skin to be irritated but usually it has more to do with the lighting. I'll look again in another light to get a closer view and then it will look fine and unbroken, non irritated just little pink in coloring. I'd say if his skin looks healthy accept for alittle pinkness than it's normal. You'd just want to check to make sure there is no dry skin or irritated areas that he may be scratching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.