Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my hedgehog for about a month and a half and earlier today when i was giving her a bath i noticed that there was a strip right down the middle of her head where the is no quills and i was wondering if this was normal or if i should be concerned, or if this is normal. Also she seems to be scratching a lot so is there something i should do for dry skin or,,

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
The bald strip down the middle of the head is normal, it's called the "reverse mohawk" and it's there to leave some extra room for the visor quills to cross when the hedgehog rolls into a ball. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Flaxseed Oil is a good way to help dry skin. I got a big bottle of it at The Vitamin Shoppe for about 12 dollars, which I thought was sort of expensive but worth it. Just drizzle some on your hedgie's back or on his/her food. I also use a toothbrush, the same one I use for bathing him, to spread it out a little when I put it on his back. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
zombiesatenine said:
I got a big bottle of it at The Vitamin Shoppe for about 12 dollars
Just clearing up some confusion with wording...You got the big bottle of flax oil capsules, right?
If it's just the oil in a bottle, it goes rancid very fast, even if you keep it in the fridge. The moment oxygen gets into the bottle,it starts going bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts