Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 4 month old male hedgie
and i recentley got a 8 week old female hedgie
i have no intentions of breeding as i know nothing about breeding hedgehogs and would hate to lose my female
and wouldnt be able to handle it if she rejected her babies
with that said
me and my mom went shopping earlier! i have my hedgies in different cages!!
well my moms husband loves my male and thought it would be ok to let the male and female play!!
so he put the female in the males cage while we were gone.
i guess he fell asleep and forgot about them
i came home about 2 hours after we had been out and i seen them together and freaked out

what are the possiblities of her being pregnant? is there a possibility that she is not able to have hedgies yet?
they said she is 8 weeks and 2 days! please an info!
he now knows they do NOT get playtime together anytime!!
thanks

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm not a breeder by any means, but seeing as this feels like the 100th post like this I've read in the past few months on here, I pretty much know all the answers of the top of my head :roll:

Here's info copied from the only sticky on the breeding forum (not sure why people don't just read this first, I guess it's the panic of oh no my hedgehog might be pregnant)

Hedgiepets said:
A female should NOT be bred under the age of 6 months, nor bred for the first time over the age of one year.
But males and females alike, are capable of breeding at 7 weeks, but it is not healthy for them.
So YES your 8 week old female could very well be pregnant, and also YES it is dangerous for her to be pregnant at this age.

That being said this does happen a lot with sibling or opposite sex pet stores hedgehogs that are left together at around the same age as your hedgie, and I know people have taken females home and have had them give surprise birth at this young of an age without any major problems.

I'm not sure if there's a different protocol you have to take with younger/higher risk mothers, but here are the basics:

Hedgiepets said:
The gestation period is about 35 days, but can be as long as 49 days
This means you need to mark down the day that the male and female were together and for the next 35-49 days you need to assume your female is pregnant and take all neccessary precaturions. Once 49 days is up, if there is no births, you are in the clear.

If your female does turn out to be pregnant...follow these guidelines. I've also read you're supposed to put shavings instead of liners closer to the birthing time and that you can feed the mom royal canin babycat34 during the pregnancy.

Hedgiepets said:
If you happen to find that your female has given birth, DO NOT disturb her for 2 weeks, with the exception of giving her food and water. How do you know there are babies in the nest? You will hear squeaks or chirps. Take out the wheel. Do not try to clean the cage until babies are about 4 weeks old. Babies will start to eat out of mom's food dish at about 4 weeks old. Babies will need to be weaned at about 6 weeks old. The males need to be separated from mom and sisters by 7 weeks of age.
I would think there's not much you can do if your female is pregnant. I would just do all in your power to read up on it in this forum and take the best care you can of the mom. I would also make sure you put some extra emergency cash aside should something go wrong during the pregnancy with the mom being so young and all.

Someone with more experience will definitely chime in soon, I just thought I'd answer and maybe help calm your nerves a bit in case no one is on here for a while cause there aren't very many breeders on here :)

Good luck, unfortunately you are going to need it.

And in the future for ALL hedgehog owners who have hedgehogs of the opposite sex, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have a sit down with ALL MEMBERS of the household BEFORE you get the opposite sex hedgehog and make it VERY CLEAR that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE will anyone be allowed to put the hedgehogs together.

This would solve many many problems. Thank you. Sorry just a frustration of mine reading all of these posts :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
SnufflePuff, that was an amazing post well done! I wanted to stress this, however. Hedgie-fun, it is NOT a question of IF she gives birth, but WHEN. BAsically Female hedgehogs are induced ovulators, which means they prepare for fertilization when they smell a male near-by. Female hedgehogs can become pregnant when with a male for a few seconds. If the two were left alone for two hours, you can basically guarantee that your girl is pregnant.

So, like SnufflePuff said, prepare in every way possible for the birth of this litter. There are, unfortunately, many topics related to surprise litter and pregnancies on this forum. There is ALSO a wealth of information in the Breeding section of this forum. More experienced people will respond soon I am sure, but I also wanted to stress, because many people do not seem to get this, when the babies are born, as was already stated, do not disturb the mother at all, under any circumstances EXCEPT to change food and water for at LEAST an ENTIRE two weeks! THis means, if possible, moving the mom's cage into a spare bedroom, if one is available, that can be kept isolated BEFORE the babies are born. Or keeping them in the most isolated spot in the house and warning ALL family members not to go near the cage AT ALL. Period. Also, any other pets like cats and such should have, naturally, no access to the cage. I know is is early to discuss what to do when the babies are born, but these aspects of the birth and weaning process are SO CRUCIAL to Mommy Hog and Baby hog health that I felt you should be aware of them right away.

Good luck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Looks like the others have given you very good advice. One more thing: Make sure she has good food with at least 15% fat (just until after the babies are weaned). She will need it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts